Saturday, March 19, 2011

Wah uh oh....!

My Masterpiece Mixers art.

3/19/11 – Have I told you about my sunscreen yet?  All of you know how I feel about being called fair complected – kiss of death.  Well, chemo makes you extremely sun sensitive.  I have started using Jergins’ gradual tan in an attempt to have a little color.  I asked my doctor if I was allowed to participate in the Rumpshaker this coming weekend (since I signed up without making sure it was ok with them).  She said “Sure!  But, be sure to wear lots of sunscreen.”  Ok, ok, sunscreen.  No big deal, right?  I can’t wear just normal 15 or 20, can I? No…..  Todd went to the store to buy me sunscreen and he seriously – seriously – asked if I needed 90.  90!  Really?  Does that even work?  I’m relatively certain that if I used 90 it would take away from my tan and not just screen it. 
You may be wondering what I wound up with since 90 SPF was clearly an option.  I have Coppertone 50 for kids.  Nice.  I am now prepared for the race and anything life brings my way.
This morning I went to Masterpiece Mixers and created some more art.  I actually like this painting and had some good girl time.  I heart anything that involves puff paint and splatter painting!  If you haven’t noticed I have a flair for the dramatic.
When I got home I decide to sit outside and read some.  Todd wasn’t home and I wanted to enjoy the beautiful day while I felt good.  I walked out to my chair – forgot the sunglasses, had to go back – forgot the sunscreen, had to go back.  Finally I was set.  To start out with my chair was in the shade.  I was slightly cool (cold sensitive remember) but felt good.  As I read the sun moved and I noticed my arm started to turn the color of a tomato.  Coppertone 50 for kids to the rescue!  I find it slightly sad that I have to wear sunscreen in my side yard and 50 SPF at that.  I am happy to report that I have some pretty awesome tan lines just from sitting outside and using SPF 50.  Farmer tan here I come!
While we are on the topic of sunscreen that just naturally transitions into bathing suit conversation, right?  Have I told any of you that chemo can cause you to gain weight?  Well, it can.  Tuesday when I was at the doctor I asked if it was normal to gain weight while on chemo.  I’ve noticed that every other week as I’m standing on the dog scale I tend to weight at least 2 lbs more – not cool.  She told me that people either gain weight or lose weight but they preferred for people to gain weight because that meant that they were not sick all the time.  So, you mean to tell me that I have surgery to remove a tumor that’s taken up camp in my colon, have to intentionally make myself sick every other week with chemotherapy, it’s going into bathing suit season and it’s “ok” (good even) that I’m gaining weight?!  In the words of Mercedes from Glee “Hell to the NO.”  Not cool, not cool at all.  I’m not supposed to diet but something has to happen because I’m not sending myself down the road of self loathing too – my counselor can only handle so much.  I have here by started an attitude of healthier eating during non-chemo weeks.  I am not giving up my end-of-up-week-milkshake or smoothie, but I do resolve to not pig out on the pizza so much.
That being said, I would love to have a fresh fruit parfait or a fruit bowl like the ones from Jason’s Deli.  My song of the day should come as no surprise “Hell to the No” from Glee.  I think this is going to become my new theme song.  It is definitely worthy of a diva.
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment