Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

3/17/11 – Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!  I am proud to report that even though I feel like someone ran me over with a Ford F350 I managed to wear green. 
Todd asked me what I wanted for dinner this morning and I said pancakes or waffles.  That has slowly become my standard Thursday meal because (1) it’s delicious (2) it’s not all that hard to make (3) it’s easy on your stomach if you’re not feeling all that fabulous.  Before Todd left for work we had that plan in place for the night.  Around 10:00 I got a text from Todd about having green beer and making something Irish for dinner.  Apparently the little leprechauns had gotten to him.  I’m always cool with Irish food as long as it’s nothing that makes me sick.  We settled on bangers and mash with onion gravy.  I am super excited even if all I eat are potatoes.  Instead of green beer I’m going for green ginger ale.  Classy, right?
I don’t really have anything too interesting to share today.  Thursdays are one of my worst days.  Sara picked me up and drove me up to Gainsville to have my pump removed and port de-accessed.  When I was in the back I mentioned to the nurse that I was going to have to take a picture of what they stick in me because I had never looked at it and didn’t really know what the port looked like.  She said “Oh, I can show you one.”  She went and got a port and showed me exactly what it looked like inside me and how they access it.  It’s really cool.  I’m going to have to take a picture of the needle when I go back to the oncologist next time so I can show all of you how it works.  The port is much smaller than I thought and kind of looks like a smushed gum drop.  It’s soft in the center where they insert the needle and an IV like line goes out the other side of the port and is attached to my vein that the chemo goes into (vena cava).  Cool hunh?  Since I was never able to have my consultation with my surgeon before the port was put in I found it really cool.  Up until now I really had no clue what it looked like or how big it was inside my body.  Relatively small.  I’m definitely keeping it forever – LOL!
Once I got home all I did was rest.  I don’t know what it is about Thursday but they tend to hit me like a ton of bricks.  I get a lot of body ache so I actually feel like someone has hit my neck and shoulders with a bag full of baseballs.  Resting is good.  I used my new Adirondack chairs and sat outside and enjoyed the day a little while reading.  It was relaxing and the vitamin D made me feel wonderful. 
On to our colon cancer fact of the day!  www.cancer.org
How many people alive today have been diagnosed with colorectal cancer?
The National Cancer Institute estimates that more than 1.1 million Americans with a history of colorectal cancer were alive in January 2007. Some of these individuals were cancer-free, while others still had evidence of cancer and may have been undergoing treatment.
If I could have anything to eat I would like a smoothie – Peach Slice Plus extra yogurt please.  My song of the day is “When Irish Eyes are Smiling” by Bing Crosby.
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment