Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rumpshaker!


3/26/11 – What a great day!  What a great day!
I had an awesome day.  We arrived at Scott and Ashley’s late last night but had a delicious dinner.  I stayed up entirely too late and had to wake up entirely too early.  We woke up at 5:30 to head to the race.  I peeled myself out of bed and put on my race day outfit.  Shirt, shoes, capris, hat – check, check, check, check!  Powdered donuts – breakfast of champions.
We arrived at the race and met our team.  Mine and Scott’s bibs were blue since we are both colon cancer survivors.  Everyone else’s bibs were white.  My goal for the race was to do 3.1 miles around 45 minutes. 
You should have seen all the people at the race.  There was a team that wore plastic butts on top of their shorts.  I loved looking at all the t-shirts – “Semi Colon”, “Bustin’ Our Bootie for Bill’s Patootie”, “Rollin’ With the Colon”, “Butt Hutt”, "Baby Got Back", "The Ben Dovers", "Bouncing Badonkadonks", "Your Worst Enema", "We've Got the Runs" and of course “Shea’s So Full of It”! I enjoyed looking at all the names and all the fun socks that people were wearing.
Scott and I were on the lookout for other colon cancer survivors.  We saw a few but we really were the youngest we saw.  We were there representing.  I’m so glad I did the race.
Ashley and I walked/jogged together.  Ashley walks crazy fast.  Her one stride was at least 2 steps for me.  Since there were so many people in the race when we crossed the start almost 5 minutes after the race had actually started.  I used my app on my phone to track our “real” time.  We consistently walked a 15 minute mile.  I am happy to report that I crossed (running) the finish line at 45:54!  I count that as a win.  I was so happy.
When we crossed the line I got a cool colon cancer key chain since I am a survivor.  I was breathing so hard it was hard for me to understand what the lady who handed me the key chain and note was saying.  “Lady, I just sprinted.  I’m focusing on breathing here.”  I had to take several minutes to recover after the race, but I was happy.
After the race we headed over to check out all the vendors.  There were bands playing and I walked through the inflatable colon.  That’s right people, inflatable colon!  It’s a tunnel but it looks like the inside of your colon and shows the different stages of colon cancer. 
I then hit the popsicle stand.  Heck yeah!  There were orange cream Blue Bell popsicles.  Yum! 
After checking out all the vendors we went to McDonalds to meet our team and catch up a little bit.  I had a great time.  I love catching up with my Judson girls.  I was so glad they created the team and that they all came to support me and such a great cause.  I heart my Judson girls!
We then headed back to Tuscaloosa to wash off.  We stopped by Gigi’s cupcakes to get a post race snack.  OMG, people!  OMG!  Those cupcakes were awesome.  Todd and I got a midnight magic chocolate chip cupcake, hot fudge sundae cupcake, and a lemon icebox cupcake.  I still haven’t finished all the cupcakes but they are awesome.
I had a great day.  I was so glad that I was able to run.  I guess some good came out of my white blood count being low.  My cupcake is starting to wear off and I would like some fried dill pickles.  My song of the day is “All I do is Win” by T-Pain (War Eagle, baby).
Night y’all!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Shea:)Uncle Butch and I knew you could and would finish strong:)We love you both.

    ReplyDelete