Friday, March 11, 2011

Fashion disaster averted

3/11 – I’m so tired…. (yawn). Today was great, but it completely wore me out.
This morning I woke up entirely too early and got ready for work.  I put on what I thought was an adorable outfit – cute skirt, sweater, tights, boots, accessories.  I fixed my lunch, Todd made me some coffee, I had a bagel to go – I was set!  I headed out the door right on time.  Todd had even warmed my car up.  It was going to be a great day.  I put my purse in the car and then proceeded to spill coffee all over myself.  A normal person would probably be concerned that they had burned themselves, but not me.  I screamed, “my clothes!”  Remember?  I’m going back to work for fashion – fashion!  No more weeks without washing my face or putting on one drop of mascara.  No more!  As that coffee spilled I saw my whole dream melting.  There was no way I could come up with another adorable outfit just like that.  It’s not possible.  Todd runs out as I’m mourning the loss of my outfit asking if I was ok.  I explained what happened and he asked if it was his fault.  Technically no, I’m the one who spilled the coffee on myself; however, he was the one who left the lid open.  It’s all a matter of perspective.  I ran inside mumbling how I was returning to work for fashion and now I would never have anything cute to wear.  I was not taking off the tights and boots I would just have to make it work.  I threw together an outfit that was passable and headed out the door.  Todd walked me to the car – I felt like a kindergartener on my first day of school.  Disaster averted!
My fashion faux pas caused me to be a few minutes late to work.  Since I knew everyone was expecting me I was prepared to over exaggerate putting my purse, keys, and coffee down on my desk and then sigh and go into how I would have been in on time but I spilled coffee on myself and then has a fashion disaster that rendered me helpless and caused me to be late for work.  My performance was going to be worthy of a Tony.  I was hyping myself up as I rode up the elevator.  I passed the counter and first row of desks about to launch into my own personal mellow drama and then realized no one was there.  Absolutely no one was in the accounting department.  Hunh.  I guess I should have been relieved.  I wasn’t busted.  No one would ever know that I was late.  Why is it that I was slightly disappointed?  I guess I just like a good show, especially one where I am the star!
The first thing I did once I got to work was Clorox my desk.  Lots of dust.  I had some “welcome” flowers that went into a lovely vase and then got to work.  Luckily Claudia came into the office to distract me.  I am one of those workers that cannot handle silence.  When things get silent I start to go a little nuts.  I am almost certain that I can hear things that I’ve never heard before because my ears are straining to pick up one little decibel of noise.  Something.  Anything.  The walls start to close in and my eyes get really big.  It’s at that moment that I consider screaming “I can’t take it anymore!!!” but instead I say “So, Sallie, what do you have planned for this weekend?”  It’s a hostile work environment – lack of sound and all.  When Claudia is in the office she will talk to me and play music that randomly pops in her head.  Once again, disaster averted! (Luv ya Claudia!)
I got a lot of work done in the office today.  I did get a lot of people time too.  I’ve learned something new about myself.  I had mentioned before that I would hug pretty much anyone, but I will also talk to pretty much anyone too.  I am so strained for human interaction that I will hug you and want to talk for a good 15 minutes.  I apologize to all my co-workers for causing you to have an unproductive day; but, hey, I’m sure you enjoyed the break.
I am completely wiped out.  Being at work and talking to so many people has really tired me.  All I want to do is put in my pjs and robe and curl up on the couch and rest.  Rest.  Rest.  Rest.  I plan to have  a relaxing night.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a slice of key lime pie from Cheese Burger in Paradise – theirs are the best!  They are flown in daily from Key West.  My song of the day is “Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars.  This song has been stuck in my head all day.
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment