Thursday, March 24, 2011

Music and Stretchy Pants

3/24/11 – Hello again. 
Today I went in to work for half a day and finished working from home.  I really enjoyed that because it allowed me to be in the office but still not get overly tired.  I’m heading back in to work tomorrow for my newly appointed Shea Fridays where I work the Fridays of my “up” weeks.  Remember I’m doing this for fashion!  I’m also doing it to maintain the integrity of my blog.  Let’s face it, there are only so many topics you can come up with while working from home.  Life is pretty boring.  So, let’s get started. 
As I was driving in to work this morning I found it hard to find a radio station that was actually playing music.  I had zero desire to listen to any talk and the Christian station that I usually love had decided to have people call in and tell inspirational stories about how they or some they knew had overcome some tragic event in their life and made it into a positive.  Maybe I should have paid more attention to this, but to be honest that was the last thing I wanted to hear this morning - I kind of feel like I’m living it so I don’t want to hear about other stuff too.  Denial, I tell you. Denial.
So, I have no other option but to flip through radio stations.  As I’m flipping back and forth I find it slightly comical the variety in types of music I’m listening to.  I have a Christian radio station, a rock radio station, and a generic pop radio station.  I took the time to write down (not while driving, of course… <shoulder shrug, innocent face>) the 3 songs I listened to in a row.  “Awake and Alive” by Skillet, then “I Am” by Mark Shultz, and then “Dynamite” by Taio Cruz.  In case any of you would like to listen to my weird morning mix the links are below. 
To be honest.  I love all of these songs.  Isn’t it funny all the different song types that we like?  I’m a little bit country and a little rock and roll.
Once I left work I ran by Target to pick out a race day outfit since Todd had kindly given me a gift card during chemo week.  I don’t normally buy outfits for a race but I thought in this case it would really be nice and it was sweet of Todd to think of it.  So off to Target I went.  Why is it that all the active wear at Target is designed for skinny people?  That just doesn’t make sense to me.  No.  I do NOT want to shove my butt into stretch pants or short shorts.  Why? Why is there not some selection for people who NEED to work out and not just people who DO workout?  Plus, don’t active wear designers realize that all people (men and women alike) all have different body shapes?  Some of us have hips.  Some of us have curves and to be honest I do not want a thin piece of stretchy cotton that might snap to be the only thing between me and the world.  There’s no need for all that business. 
                Dear Target Active Wear Department,
Please take a reality pill and realize that men and women come in all shapes and sizes and some of those sizes do not need to be in tight stretchy pants.  Please!  Do not make them only have tight stretchy pants to choose from.  I’m begging you.  That’s what wrong with the world today – people already wear things they shouldn’t why encourage them?
Your faithful consumer,
Shea
On to our colon cancer fact of the day. www.cancer.org

What are the risk factors for colorectal cancer?

A risk factor is anything that affects your chance of getting a disease such as cancer. Different cancers have different risk factors. For example, exposing skin to strong sunlight is a risk factor for skin cancer. Smoking is a risk factor for cancers of the lungs, larynx (voice box), mouth, throat, esophagus, kidneys, bladder, colon, and several other organs.
               
But risk factors don't tell us everything. Having a risk factor, or even several risk factors, does not mean that you will get the disease. And some people who get the disease may not have any known risk factors. Even if a person with colorectal cancer has a risk factor, it is often very hard to know how much that risk factor may have contributed to the cancer.

Researchers have found several risk factors that may increase a person's chance of developing colorectal polyps or colorectal cancer.

-          Age

-          Personal history of colorectal polyps or colorectal cancer

-          Personal history of inflammatory bowel disease

-          Family history of colorectal cancer

-          Inherited syndromes

-          Certain types of diets

-          Physical inactivity

-          Obesity

-          Smoking

-          Heavy alcohol use

-          Type 2 diabetes

-          Night shift work

-          Previous treatment for certain cancers

 

I know I had one similar to this already but I thought this one had a little bit more information and was a interesting. 
All in all today has been a good day.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a Five Guys burger with fries and a Coke.  My song of the day is one from my list above.  I’ve had “Dynamite” by Taio Cruz stuck in my head all day.  Yes, I even did a little car dancing.  Embarrassing.
Night y’all!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Shea,

    I am a current Judson student. An e-mail was sent out by some of your Judson sisters asking students to pray for you.

    This e-mail particularly intrigued me, because my best friend Amber fought leukemia for 6 years. I'm happy to report that she's in full remission and living a blessed life.

    I know how hard chemo can be (it's a real jerk and party pooper. lol.) I am praying for you and following your blog. God is in control and the prayers on your behalf are great. :-)

    P.S. Are you coming to J-Day? That would be SO cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Audra! - Thanks for the message. You're right, chemo can be a jerk and is definitely a party pooper (very accurate discription). I'm so glad you're following my blog. I really enjoy writing it and feel so blessed that others enjoy it too. No, I'm not coming to J-day. I went for my 5 year a few years back, but since it's this weekend I think it's a little too late for me to rsvp. I did get to see some of my Judson friends this last weekend at the race. Well, this has been a long comment = ) Talk to ya later!

    ReplyDelete