Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bradford pear disgust

Bet ya couldn't do this with a Bradford pear!

3/10/11 – I hate Bradford pear trees!  I think they are a foul and sorry excuse for a tree.  Yes, this assessment may be harsh, but my reasoning is as follows:
1.       They smell horrible when they are blooming (i.e. Now)
2.       They fall or break limbs all the time (I challenge anyone who is around a more developed, not newly planted, Bradford pear to see if they can find one, ONE, that has not lost at least one limb.)
I believe that my feeling toward the Bradford pear is justified.  I think they are an insult to trees in general.  There are much more noble trees – oak, maple, sycamore… that could be planted.  Bradford pear? Bah!
For the record I do not have a Bradford pear tree in my yard.  I have a Japanese maple (love those trees) and a flowering plum.  It seems I tend toward trees with red/purple-ish leaves.  If I had to choose my favorite tree it would probably be an oak.  I think they are really cool.  A lot of them are really old and I love it when you visit an old house and they line the drive.  I submit that you could not do that with a Bradford pear tree because they would fall all the time. 
Today has been a pretty good day.  I’ve worked, I’ve eaten out, and I’ve shopped just a little – a well rounded day.  Some of my neighbors took me out to lunch today so that means I actually put on people clothes and makeup.  After lunch we went to a little shop and I found a pretty white platter that was 70% off – Holla!  It was only $6.98!  Today has been a fun day for me.  I love it when I get to dress up and have a lovely lunch.
So, yesterday I reached a low point that only enforces the fact that I made the right decision deciding to go in to work tomorrow.  I was sitting at my laptop working yesterday and got up to go to the bathroom.  I stand up and notice none of the dogs are with me.  None of them.  Where could they be?  I walk into the bedroom and Buster and Stella are lying on the bed and Percy is lying on a pillow on the floor.  They all raise their heads and look at me as I walk in like “Yes???”  How dare they!  How – dare – they!  All I have left is talking to Buster and Percy – Stella is impossible – and they just leave me?  I actually said “You two should be ashamed” and walked off.  Point taken – I need human interaction because even the animals are starting to let me down.
Now, on to our Colon Cancer awareness fact of the day.  Today we are continuing with the 5 Myths of Colorectal Cancer. www.cancer.org
Myth 2: Colorectal cancer cannot be prevented.
Truth: In many cases colorectal cancer can be prevented. Colorectal cancer almost always starts with a small growth called a polyp. If the polyp is found early, doctors can remove it and stop colorectal cancer before it starts.
To help lower your chances of getting colorectal cancer:
·         Get to and stay at a healthy weight.
·         Be physically active.
·         Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
·         Eat a diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and less red or processed meat.
I hope this tip has been helpful.  As I was reading the list of ways to lower your chances I felt a little insulted.  I am at a reasonably healthy weight (5lbs off ideal for my height), before the surgery I worked out at least 4 days a week, I do drink but I definitely did NOT drink that much, and I love fruits and only do whole wheat and whole grains.  I felt the need to justify myself for some reason.  I guess even though we do things to prevent disease we still sometimes just get them.  Fate – sometimes it really sucks.
If I could have anything to eat today I would like a bowl of tomato basil soup and a hot sandwich from La Madeline.  It is cool and windy here today and that would be the perfect meal.  My song of the day is “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice because (1) it’s cool outside (2) this song just makes me laugh for some reason (3) bet you can’t listen to it and not dance in your seat.
Night y’all!

4 comments:

  1. If you want animal comfort Daisies and Sal can help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all had the best Japanese Magnolia tree in the front yard when y'all lived across the street from us on 22nd St. I always loved that tree!

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wesley and I feel the same way about Bradford Pears. I remember in college we learned that they had "narrow crotches," and those were the exact words the professor used. And 10+ years later, I still remember why they are not a great choice for landscapes!

    Love keeping up with you on your blog, and we continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamara - I think about that tree a lot. It was the prettiest Japanese Magnolia I've ever seen.

    Callie - Thank you for adding validity to my position! "Narrow Crotches" - I love it!

    ReplyDelete