Saturday, March 26, 2011

Greetings from Alabama

3/25/11 – Greetings from Alabama!  I am typing while riding down the road.
Todd and I packed up and headed to Alabama after work for the Rumpshaker 5K!  We are going to stay with friends and then run tomorrow morning.  I am a little nervous about the race since I’m mostly walking.  When you walk they sometimes push you over to the sidewalk and that just seems a little demeaning to me.  I know that’s the way it is, but I really do hope I do well.  There are also supposed to be a lot of people participating in the race and large crowds sometimes make me nervous.  I’ll feel better once it all starts and I’m in control.  Right now there is too much I don’t know ahead of me.
So, Todd and I are bookin’ it down the road.  We had to stop in Birmingham to pick up our race packet from Christina and Amanda.  My phone randomly goes black and is unusable at times – it just so happened to pick the moment I needed to call Christina to tell her we were close and about to pick up our packets from her to conk out.  I get the number off Todd’s email and we decide that Todd can navigate his way to the pickup spot while I call Christina on his phone.  As my call is connected I watch Todd get off on the wrong exit – “13A!” “13A!” “Not 13B.”  He navigates to what appears to be an access road thinking we could get to 13A – wrong.  It spit us back out on the interstate.  We had to go to the next exit and turn around.  Generally this is not that big of a deal, but the opposite direction on the interstate was slammed because there was a wreck about a quarter mile up.  Great….  Traffic.  We make it through the traffic fine.  The interesting part that I want to draw your attention to is not the fact that we were sitting in a little traffic, but the fact that when we got off on the exit I looked to the left and saw cars coming toward us.  Hunh…? I thought WE had gotten off on the only exit there?  Where are these cars coming from?  I notice there is dust kicking up under their tires – “They’re not on a road!”  Tons of cars had pulled off the interstate onto the grass and off roaded it to the exit we were on!  I have never, never seen that done before.  Only in Alabama.
Today started entirely too early for me.  I fully believe in the power of sleep and the fact that I haven’t been getting a lot lately just makes me irritable when I have to wake up early.  Why is it that when you’re having problems sleeping you always seem to get the best rest right before you have to wake up?  That’s just not fair.  Today I was going in to work early so I could get off work early to leave for the race.  No one should have to be at work at 7:00 on a Friday.  I think Friday hours (if you have to work at all) should be 9:30 – 3:00 with an hour and a half lunch in between.  I know I don’t fully wake up until 9:30 on a good day (you have to give the coffee time to kick in). 
I remember someone called me at 8:00 on the dot one morning.  I had just gotten in to the office and clearly had not had my coffee infusion.  I believe I answered the phone and said “Do you realize it is only 8:00 and my coffee hasn’t had time to kick in yet?”  My brain is running on auto pilot between the hours of 8:00 and 9:30 and also any time after 5:00.  I do not answer hard questions, so please don’t ask any.
It is almost 9:00 as I’m writing this and we haven’t had dinner yet.  I did have a substantial lunch with my co-workers but I’m about to start gnawing on my door handle if I’m not able to eat soon.  If I could have anything to eat right now I would like fish tacos (not the fried kind).  I would probably need 3 because I’m starving.  My song of the day is “Rumpshaker” by Wreckx-N-Effect in preparation for the race tomorrow.
I will make sure to take lots of pictures at the race.  Be ready to have a blog all about the race and colon cancer tomorrow.  Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment