Monday, March 28, 2011

Top Gun Monolog

3/28/11 - Yesterday Todd and I took it easy.  It had been a long weekend of waking up early for me, so I needed some time to decompress.  I was also slightly sore from the race Saturday.
We watched 2 movies – Baby Momma, which is hilarious, and Top Gun.  Have you ever noticed in Top Gun how Tom Cruise’s character is always sweaty?  I mean, he is overly sweaty.  I said something to Todd about it and Todd said <in his macho voice> “that’s because he’s flying a plane” or “that’s because he’s on a battle ship”.  Why should that matter?  Is it really hot on a plane or a battle ship?  Is he maybe concentrating on something really, really hard?  I don’t understand.  The other dudes in the movie look sweaty too for some reason but Tom Cruise’s character looks more sweaty than the others.
This also gets me to thinking – how did they do that for the movie?  How did they make it look so accurate?  I mean he has beads of sweat all over his forehead and all over his face, but it really does look like sweat.  They could have sprayed him with a water bottle but I don’t think it would have looked like that.  I think it would have looked like a spray from a water bottle.  What could they have used?  Maybe a very fine mist spray or something?  This really is something that I think of.  It is bothering me a little.
While we are on the topic of Top Gun, ladies have you ever wondered why guys are ok with this movie.  I mean, they don’t mind watching it one bit, but they have problems with any other romantic movie.  I know as soon as I put on some girly movie Todd immediately checks out – snooze fest.  But, when we are watching Top Gun he’s invested in the story and pays attention the whole time.  I honestly don’t understand.  Guys, like it or not, Top Gun is a romantic and heartfelt movie.  There is the whole love interest thing, when Goose dies Maverick has a hard time getting over the loss, and then he and his bitter rival are there for each other in a trying time and bro-hug it out in the end.  Don’t even get me started on the music playing in the background.  Call me crazy but that sounds like a girl movie to me.  Do the air planes and the shooting really make that much of a difference to make it manly enough to watch?  Really?
Today has been interesting.  I woke up to rain pouring down.  This is not generally a big deal but I had planned to do my half day in the office/half day work from home deal.  I knew from the sound of the rain that driving was not going to be fun.  Since I suffer from a sometimes severe case of chemo brain I decided that driving was not my best option.  I would just work from home.  I woke up and grabbed the laptop to start my work day.  The battery was dead on the laptop so I looked for the charger.  I had brought it with us to Alabama this weekend so I could stay up to date on my blogging.  I walked outside to get the charger out of my car and discovered there was no car in my driveway.  No, the car wasn’t stolen.  Todd had driven the car to work instead of the truck trying to save on gas.  I called Todd to make sure he hadn’t taken the charger out of the car and put it somewhere in the house.  Nope.  The charger was still in the car.  Great.  I’m supposed to be working but I have no way to get online.  I would have driven to Todd’s work and just gotten the charger and come home but because of all the rain traffic was bad – it took Todd an hour and 45 minutes to make it to work instead of the usual 30.  No way was I getting out in that.  We decided to meet for lunch. 
Lunch was lovely.  I had never been to Jimmy John’s before.  Their sandwiches are very fresh and the salt and vinegar potato chips were kind of like the kettle chips.  I love chips that are folded over so they have an extra crunch.  After lunch I grabbed the charger and headed home.  I had a lot of work in front of me but I’m sure I can get through it during the week.  I love being able to work and having something to do.  All in all, today has not gone the way I planned, but it hasn’t been a bad day either.
Todd and I are moving on to our third movie that we recorded yesterday Tin Cup later tonight.  I’ve never seen it before and Todd said that it was pretty good.  I like Kevin Costner so I’m game.  Hopefully this movie will not warrant an entire dialog but you never know.  If I could have anything to eat I would like some spaghetti and garlic bread.  My song of the day is “You’ve Lost that Loving Feeling” by the Righteous Brothers.  Come on guys…. Admit it.  Top Gun is a romantic movie.
Night y’all!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this is stinkin hillarious!!! It's been a long day, and this just made me laugh out loud (I almost fell off the bed). :-) I have really enjoyed following your day-to-day life. (It's also good to see someone who has some of the same random thought processes as me. Maybe it's a Judson thing?) :-) I'm glad to hear that the race went well. I realize this isn't the race blog, but I'm trying to consolidate my comments. I hope that this weekend is relaxing (I really want to tell you this random funny J-Day story some time). Anyway, enjoy the weekend!!!

    Much Love,
    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I'm glad I entertained you! Message me of fb and tell me the J-Day story. I can't wait to hear it.

    ReplyDelete