Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To Bieber, or not to Bieber. That is the question.

Me and Phillip at chemo today.

3/15 – Things that made me laugh today:
þ  This morning when Dan first saw my new profile pic (the picture on my blog yesterday) he posted on my link that he wondered why I had a picture of Justin Bieber as my profile pic!  That cracked me up!  I hadn’t thought about it until that moment but it did sort of look like Justin Bieber!
þ  While I was sitting at chemo I heard Phillip singing “bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!”  Um… hilarious!  A guy singing Gwen Stefani makes me laugh every time!
þ  When Todd got home I tried to help out in the kitchen making dinner.  Our can opener wasn’t charged so I had to use our other can opener that is broken itself.  So, I’m in the kitchen complaining about the can opener, getting a little whiney in the process.  Todd tells me to get out of the kitchen because he’s got this.  I respond “shut your face”.  He looks at me as says “I will punch you” – you have to imagine this correctly to find it funny.  It wasn’t said in a mean voice but in a matter of fact, Shea you’re being stupid sarcastic voice.  Let’s just say that shut me up and made me smile all at once.  Todd wins this round.
Whenever I go to chemo I always think that I’m the youngest one there.  It’s really odd.  I know I’m not the only one my age to get cancer but when I’m getting chemo it sometimes feels like it.  I don’t know if this is easier to go through at a younger age because I have an easier bounce back or if it harder because it is sometimes hard to find people who can relate to what I’m going through. 
Chemo went well today.  My white blood count was not too low.  When I go to chemo I go to the lab first and have my blood tested.  I normally have the blood taken out of my port because it’s easy and painless.  This morning when I went in I tried to give blood out of my port but it wasn’t working.  The nurse made me stand up and I offered to do a few jumping jacks.  The nurse said I might need me to do a headstand.  Yeah, that wasn’t going to happen.  She also had me sit down and lean forward but nothing worked.  I wound up having to go to the lab and get stuck.  It wasn’t horrible.  I just hadn’t been stuck in a while so it stung.  I may have to work on my headstand for next time.
So, I’m sitting at home trying to relax watching TV.  Why is it that I have a gazillion channels but there is nothing on.  How is there nothing on?  I’m sick of watching HGTV and why on earth does the Cake Boss now have another show where he is also the Kitchen Boss?  Why?  Why is that necessary?  Why can’t there be more fashion shows?  Why can’t there be more movies?  For this reason I have been forced to watch The Bad Girls Club.  Forced I tell you!  That show is crazy.  It is like a train wreck that I can’t tear my tired eyes away from.  I don’t understand why these people are given a television show.  I don’t understand why I am even watching this show.  All I can say is “chemo does crazy things to people”.
I don’t know if I have talked to you about getting a tattoo or not.  I would like to get a tattoo to kind of symbolize what all I’ve gone through and also so years later when all of this is just a memory I would have something to forever remember what I went through.  I don’t have a problem with tattoos.  I just think they should mean something so when your grandkid asks you why you have a rose on your hip you can say “Well, little Jimmy, I got because ….”  Anyways.  I always have a list of items to talk with my oncologist about when I go to my appointments.  They are generally questions that pop up throughout chemo week like “Am I allowed to do the Rumpshaker 5K?”  Things like that.  So, a few weeks ago my question was “Am I allowed to get a tattoo now or do I need to wait until my treatments are over?”  My doctor said that was not an uncommon question.  He got quiet and I could tell he was formulating his answer.  I waited patiently. He smiled and then said “How about you just not get a tattoo at all?”  Hahaha!  “Um…, doctor, it’s a little too late for that.”  I just thought it was funny how he mater of factly smiled and said “how about you just not get one”!  He explained that it was fine for me to get a tattoo now, just a funny experience.
Todd is being uber sweet and making dinner for me.  Cheesy spaghetti.  Yum.  I’m going to enjoy the food this week while I can.  The nausea hasn’t really kicked in yet.  Tomorrow will be the day.  Sigh…. Oh, well, I gotta go through it to get over it, right?  If I could have anything to eat I really would love a smoothie – Peach Slice Plus extra yogurt please!  My song of the day is, of course, “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani – accompanied by Phillip Thomas upon request (Phillip also has the choreography to go along with the song - it's awesome!).  ”Bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!”
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment