Sunday, March 13, 2011

Please don't arrest me, Officer.

3/13/11 – Happy Sunday!
Today I went to church and the Greenville College Choir performed.  It was awesome!  I love hearing music like that, though I wouldn’t be able to take it every Sunday – sometimes you need to worship and not just appreciate beautiful music.  I noticed something very interesting about myself today.  I love it when people use the word “aye”.  I’m not talking about like “Ay, how you doin’?” or “I’m driving through the A on my way home.”  I’m talking full out, 14th century, “now and for aye” terminology.  Love it!  I mean, how often can you work that in to a natural conversation?  Like never.
So, today I was meeting some of my girls for lunch.  A few of us were meeting at Chipotle and then driving downtown.  I left church a few minutes early so I would arrive at Chipotle on time.  I pulled in the parking lot and found a spot in the back.  No biggie, right?  Well, as soon as I parked I noticed a car drive around and pull up, not beside me (parallel), but pointed at my car (like a T).  Out of the side of my eye I see it coming at me and think that’s odd.  I look over and it is cop car.  The dude is several spots away but he’s pointed directly at me.  What is going on?  I’m just sitting in my car waiting for my friends to show up thinking “maybe I shouldn’t park here”.  I start trying to act busy.  I text my friends and tell them I’m at Chipotle already and that I have a cop car pointed at me.  After that I start thinking of other things to do to look busy.  At any moment I can picture the cop getting out of the car and walking over asking me to state my purpose for being parked and just sitting – is that a crime?!  It sure felt like it to me at that moment.  I decide to look through my text just to confirm I’m at the right Chipotle.  I scroll, scroll, scroll through the texts.  I finally found the one that said where we were meeting – Chipotle by Gwinnet Place.  THANK GOODNESS!  I was at the Chipotle at the Mall of Georgia.  The wrong place.  My escape plan was in place now!  I put my phone down and whipped out of the parking lot.  There was one moment where I worried that the cop might follow me, but I was free.  I still have no clue what that dude was doing but it really creeped me out!
Once I made it to the correct Chipotle, the girls lunch was on!  We ate at Front Page News downtown which has a great patio and good food.  We sat on the patio which was a little wet but lovely.  I was excited to see a brunch menu.  I heart brunch!  I wish there were more good brunch places in my area.  I had a fabulous meal – crab cakes benedict and a mimosa.  Perfect brunch.  Good food and good girl time.
Tonight I substituted for the 8th grade girls Sunday night teacher.  I had a blast.  I had never been to a Sunday night class before.  We had a good lesson with lots of talking and then played some circle volleyball.  I wasn’t as bad as I thought I would be.  I’m not very athletic.  My forearms were red by the time the guys came out and took over the game. 
I missed my Colon Cancer awareness fact last night.  Today we have 2 facts to make up some.  www.cancer.org
Myth 3: African Americans are not at risk for colorectal cancer.
Truth: African-American men and women are diagnosed with and die from colorectal cancer at higher rates than men and women of any other US racial or ethnic group. The reason for this is not yet understood.
Myth 4: Age doesn’t matter when it comes to getting colorectal cancer.
Truth: More than 90% of colorectal cancer cases are in people age 50 and older. For this reason, the American Cancer Society recommends you start getting tested for the disease at age 50. People who are at a higher risk for colorectal cancer -- such as those who have colon or rectal cancer in their families -- may need to begin testing at a younger age. Talk to your doctor about when you should start getting tested.
You know how Myth 4 says that people 50 or older are more prone to get colon cancer?  That one is the one that gets me.  I’m 28 – I’m part of that other 10%.  I still remember my GI doctor saying how colon cancer wasn’t even on her radar for me because that’s just not something you generally think of for someone my age.  I’ve taken a lot of comfort and camaraderie with stories and interaction with people who are around my age that have similar stories.  It’s nice to know that I’m not too weird and this does happen to people my age too. 
I am excited because I am totally going to get a milkshake tomorrow.  I have to get my cold fix in before chemo on Tuesday.  So, if I could have anything to eat I would like a Chick-fil-A milkshake (thanks Aunt Patsy!).  My song of the day is “Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)” by The Offspring.  I heard this song on Friday and it made me laugh.  I can’t help singing along!  “You know you can always GO ON RICKI LAKE!”
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment