Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Divas need Snickers!

3/22/11 – Todd received two Snickers in the mail yesterday and it was all I could do to not rip them open and shove both in my mouth at the same time.  This watching what I eat thing is about to do me in.  What does hungry have to do with eating? 
I hid the Snickers in Todd’s nightstand.  I have a Snickers addiction!  I think it’s the Diva in me that just needs them to survive.  I believe the problem all started with the newer Snickers commercials and how the guy turns into Aretha Franklin and then another is Liza Minnelli.  Two divas.  Two Snickers.  You can’t beat that. 
As of today Todd has eaten one Snickers but I have not touched the other.  Todd’s not a very good accountability partner because he keeps saying “Do you want a Snickers?  There’s another there.”  Of course I want that other Snickers! The pressure!  I believe Todd’s taunting is based around the fact that the last time he got a Snickers I ate the whole thing without sharing at all and then proclaimed it to have been the best Snickers I’ve had.  It was so fresh and the caramel was perfect.  He never got over the fact that I ate his Snickers so now I am the victim and maybe I deserve it just a little but that Snickers was definitely worth it!
Todd and I are quite the pair.  He threw out his back yesterday at work.  When he came home it was all he could do to shuffle into the house and painfully sit down.  Luckily I am equipped with my bag of tricks filled with emergency meds to solve any medical problem.  Percocet to the rescue!  I think the medicine helped a little but it couldn’t really solve the problem.  I had Todd on pain pills and a heating pad but he still woke up this morning in pain.  I called our doctor and explained the problem.  He is now on a doctor approved medicine – muscle relaxers.  Hopefully it will help to relieve the pain.
So, Todd takes care of me and cooks during my chemo week.  I take care and cook for Todd when his back goes out.  I’m just glad the two did not coincide because I don’t know if I could have held him up in my normal chemo week state.  For better or worse, in sickness and in health – we definitely have that one covered!
Now on to our chemo fact of the day.  www.cancer.org

What is cancer?

The body is made up of hundreds of millions of living cells. Normal body cells grow, divide, and die in an orderly fashion. During the early years of a person's life, normal cells divide faster to allow the person to grow. After the person becomes an adult, most cells divide only to replace worn-out or dying cells or to repair injuries.

Cancer begins when cells in a part of the body start to grow out of control. There are many kinds of cancer, but they all start because of out-of-control growth of abnormal cells.
Cancer cell growth is different from normal cell growth. Instead of dying, cancer cells continue to grow and form new, abnormal cells. Cancer cells can also invade (grow into) other tissues, something that normal cells cannot do. Growing out of control and invading other tissues are what makes a cell a cancer cell.

Cells become cancer cells because of damage to DNA. DNA is in every cell and directs all its actions. In a normal cell, when DNA gets damaged the cell either repairs the damage or the cell dies. In cancer cells, the damaged DNA is not repaired, but the cell doesn't die like it should. Instead, this cell goes on making new cells that the body does not need. These new cells will all have the same damaged DNA as the first cell does.

You would have thought I would have already read about this but to be honest I really don’t care to read anything about cancer.  I’ve enjoyed the colon cancer facts because most of them I already knew from speaking with my doctors.  I’m a through believer in the power of denial.  I like to hang out there because it is safe and comfortable and nothing bad happens.  My doctors have all said that is perfectly ok because it keeps my spirits up.  I had not read anything about cancer or how it forms.  I found today’s fact really interesting because I just didn’t know.  I don’t plan to do more research about cancer because I’d like to stay upbeat.  I’m afraid what I might find would be depressing.  There is a lot of scary information out there too.  Happy is where I’m gonna stay!
If I could have anything to eat today I would like a good steak, baked potato all the way, lovely salad and a glass of red wine.  I would also like someone to cook all this and clean up for me!  A girl can only dream.  My song of the day is “Rhythm of Love” by Plain White T’s.  I’ve had this song stuck in my head all day.
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment