Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Running and cleaning = forms of torture

My art from Masterpiece Mixers.

2/16/11 – I HATE running.  I hate running.  I really hate running.  Then why is it that ever since my surgery I have felt the overwhelming urge to run again?  Am I delusional?  Clearly I am talking to myself but I honestly don’t know.  I used to run.  I was never very good at it and never really liked it but I always looked at it as an accomplishment and felt really good once it was over.  I also found that it was a great way to lose weight.  I think the reason why I’ve wanted to run since the surgery is because I’ve known it was going to be hard.  I like a challenge.  I also knew that people wouldn’t look at me weird it I was huffing and puffing and about to fall down on the side of the road since they all knew I had just had surgery.  Well, today I finally ran for the first time.  I’ve found that walking has gotten harder since starting chemo so I was not too optimistic about running but I knew I had to start somewhere.  Breathing is definitely an issue.  Running on a FLAT surface was torture.  My quads were screaming at me for a hill to run down because flat was not good enough.  I gave myself small goals.  This was a run/walk mile and I did it!  It took me 16.38 minutes to do 1.05 miles, but I did it!  My goal is to do the 1.05 for the rest of the week and just walk it during my chemo week.  The following week I hope to bump it up to 1.25 and go from there.  I have a 5K in September so I have to get ready!  I am so gonna run the 5K in a blue tutu!  Small victories. 
There is a service called Cleaning for a Reason.  They provide 4 months of free house cleaning for people who are undergoing chemo.  I have never been that clean of a person.  Don’t get me wrong, I am great at straightening up, but actual cleaning? Nuh uh.  It’s not that I don’t do it it’s just that I don’t like it so I tend to avoid it.  Bad, right?  It really stinks because Todd is Mr. Clean himself!  I don’t think he knew what he was getting into marrying me – sucker!  Well, I applied for Cleaning for a Reason because just straightening up has become hard for me to handle lately.  I was denied because they are either full or do not have a cleaning service in my area.  Todd and I tried to do the best we could but we have quickly come to the realization that house cleaning is something that I need to stay healthy and we need to keep a happy marriage.  We decided to splurge and get a housecleaner at least while I’m going through chemo.  So, I used to buy shoes but now I get a cleaner – I am 100% okay with that (I already have a lot of shoes!).
The house cleaners came today.  They showed up at 8:30 – mother daughter team.  9:30 I’m sitting in the computer room working and I can literally smell the clean! 10:30 I’m still working and they’re still cleaning.  11:30, 12:30 … I’m starting to get very self conscious.  That’s a long time.  That’s a lot of cleaning!  Paranoia is starting to set in.  Is my house really that filthy?!  I had almost purchased a Groupon a while back for $75 for a 3 hour cleaning.  That was supposed to be 50% off.  These ladies cleaned my house for nearly 5 hours!  A little before 1:30 they finished.  Let’s just say my house has never looked or smelled this clean before.  You can see your reflection in my hardwood floor.  It is so clean that I don’t even want to be IN the house.  I’m a messy person.  I don’t trust myself. 
I didn’t blog yesterday because I had a full day.  I worked and then had a small girls’ night at Masterpiece Mixers.  It’s one of those places where you paint and you can bring hors d’oeuvres and wine and have a party.  Drinking or not drinking it is a lot of fun.  We painted a “funky tree” last night.  I’m not sure how I feel about my painting.  It’s not that we weren’t taught well or the tree is ugly, I just don’t know if I like my effort.  I feel like I could have done better.  I think I may try to fix it later this week.  It was a great night though.  Lots of good time with the girls and something fun to do.  I highly recommend checking out a place like this for a fun night.  Or, if you ever want to go and need someone to come with, I’m there!
Small side note: I finally finished my art project.  I am going in to work tomorrow and am going get it framed.  I will post a picture once it is done so all of you can see what I’ve been up to for so long.  It is just a little art that is a little funky and fun that’s going to go in Todd’s man cave but I am quite proud of it.  It will look awesome once it’s framed – well, doesn’t everything look awesome framed?!  Yes, the answer is always yes.
Tonight I am having Chicago dogs and slaw.  I’m excited.  I love hot dogs and Todd is all about having Chicago dogs – not regular ones.  I’m not sure what is so special about them but anytime there is a steamed bun I am game.  I have had a total sweet tooth lately but the one thing I would love right now is some Wavy Lays and Heluva dip! Yum! My song of the day is “I Run to You” by Lady Antebellum.  I love the “new disaster” part don’t ask me why – no clue, maybe I like a little crazy.
 Night y’all!

1 comment:

  1. Your description of cleaning reminds me of Rebecca. Poor Todd! You made me smile!
    Hang in there kid!

    Mr Gary

    ReplyDelete