Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Learning to roll with the punches

2/22/11 – Hello all.  Today has been quite a day.
I woke up, washed my hair and got ready to have chemo.  I like to dress kinda cute because it makes me feel better knowing I look cute when physically I feel puny.  Tara picked me up right on time and we headed to the cancer center.  Once I got there, signed in, and they took my blood as normal.  I was called back, weighed, temp checked, and blood pressure checked.  After that my doctor came in and we talked about my side effects the last time.  Then, he tells me that I can’t have chemo today.  No.  Not again.  Not another problem.  I was having flash backs of my original oncologist’s office and how mean they were when I was told I couldn’t have chemo the first time.
Fortunately this time it doesn’t have anything to do with the office staff (who are wonderful, by-the-way) or my health insurance.  My white blood cell count is down.  He mentioned a specific piece of my white blood cell count that is supposed to be around 1,000 but mine was at half that – around 500.  It being low prevents me from being able to get chemo.  I didn’t think it was possible for me to be upset about not getting chemo, but I was.  I tried to convince him that I felt fine and I could handle it but apparently the numbers don’t lie and I had to reschedule. 
I am off chemo for one more week.  I’m supposed to go back next Tuesday.  If my white blood cell count is still down then I will need to get a shot to stimulate my white blood cells.  He didn’t want me to get the shot just yet and wanted my body to try to regenerate them on its own.  The whole bone marrow suppression is a normal side effect of chemo.  The chemo kills all cells – it can’t distinguish between red or white blood cells and cancer cells – they all have to go.  It is up to my body to regenerate the red and white blood cells and platelets because obviously my body would not regenerate cancer cells, that’s just how chemo works.  I did run a fever last Monday night and bone marrow suppression generally happens within 10 – 14 days of chemo which is exactly now.  Bummer!  The bone marrow suppression does not make me feel bad.  I feel good.  I just hope that my count is back up when I go next week.  I don’t like being knocked off my schedule – not one little bit!
I think the doctor could tell that I wasn’t happy.  He said that things like this happen and I would learn to become more flexible.  You would think that I would have already learned that lesson by now.  I don’t mind rolling with the punches I just generally like to know what’s coming at me so I can prepare.  I felt bad because Tara had taken the day off work to drive me to and from chemo.   I was so spaced out I nearly left the office with my port still accessed.  They had taken blood out of my port – way cool – so I had a little IV line sticking out of me.  Thankfully the nurse said “Hey, make sure you get that de-accessed before you leave.”  That would have been frustrating to get home and realize I still had that sticking out of my port.  Maybe I should have left it and gone back tomorrow and had them check my blood again?  I really did try my hardest to talk him into giving me the chemo anyway.
Tara and I called Todd and Phillip and met for lunch.  We went to one of my favorite places – Mojito’s!  It was funny because when we walked in there were 2 cameras set up shooting two people eating in the restaurant.  What is going on?!  I just thought it was some food TV show shooting a spot on Mojito’s because they are a very good restaurant.  The hostess comes up to ask how many people we have and says that we can sit inside and be on camera or sit on the terrace.  Terrace please!  She told us that Toni Braxton was shooting a scene for her new reality show.  Tara and I walked past the camera with lightening speed.  No camera scene for Shea. – I only do my own shows.  I don’t want to share the spot light – not even with the awesome Toni Braxton! – I would like to check out the show just to see exactly what it’s all about.  Not something that I normally run into on a day to day basis.
Since my chemo schedule is now off I think I’m going do a 5K in March.  March is colon cancer awareness month and some of my friends from Judson have already found an awesome race.  The Rumpshaker 5K is in Birmingham every year and raises money for colon cancer and promotes awareness in the local area.  Runners can form teams and run together to support the cause.  Amanda had already messaged me about the race but it was on a bad weekend for me to participate and I didn’t know if I would be able to do 3 miles.  I now know that I can totally walk/run a 5K.  It will probably take me a full 45 minutes (15 minute mile) but I know I can do it.  Considering where I am right now I don’t think anyone would look down on my time.  The name of their team is “Shea’s So Full of It” which I obviously LOVE!  I’m going to talk to Todd but I think I can do it and it would be so cool to be there to run with my team.  This 5K will just prepare me for the one in Phenix City this September!  Check out the website if you’re interested in running.  It looks like a cool experience and would benefit a great cause.  http://www.rumpshaker5k.com/index.html
I had a lot to talk about today.  I am disappointed that I didn’t get to stay on schedule but it’s probably for the best.  I’m sure if my white blood count is down I would have felt horrible tonight if I had gotten treatment.  And, I am now able to go wedding dress shopping with my sister-in-law sooner and possibly participate in a 5K with some great friends.  I guess it’s all in how you look at it.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a nice bowl of fresh fruit.  I’m thinking watermelon, pineapple, honeydew, strawberries, grapes.  All fresh, no soggy stuff.  My song of the day is “Unbreak My Heart” by Toni Braxton because I saw her at lunch today – duh.
Well, I guess it’s another “up” week for me.  Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment