Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cold sores make me cranky

2/13/11 – I hate cold sores!  Why is it that they have a way of popping up at the most inconvenient times?  I don’t understand the timing of this one.  I get back from the cruise and have an inner ear imbalance = no cold sore.  I have horrible, intense stomach pain for months = no cold sore.  I have surgery = no cold sore.  I am diagnosed with colon cancer = no cold sore.  I am nervous about starting chemo and then have a bad experience with the staff at my previous oncologist’s office = no cold sore.  But, I’m coming off a chemo week about to start an “up” week and I get a cold sore!  Timing is crazy.
Now time for the deeply personal and embarrassing Shea story… (and, yes, I do have a story for almost everything).  So, I get cold sores from time to time.  I happen to be one of the fortunate ones who are allergic to Abreva – the most effective cold sore medicine in stores.  I once took Abreva in college and my lip swelled up to the size of a plum and I had to get a steroid shot!  Very embarrassing.  Just wait, the story has only started.  A few years later, after the whole Abreva incident, I talked to my doctor and she said that if I ever got a cold sore again she could write me a prescription.  One day I got a cold sore.  I called my doctor and she called in a prescription – yeah!  I went to the pharmacy to pick it up just like normal.  I think the pharmacy had some trouble locating my order so the lady asked if I knew what I was picking up.  I remember saying “Yeah, Valtrex” – no biggie right?  She found my prescription and I checked out.  Valtrex. Valtrex.  Why did that sound so familiar?  Oh my gosh!  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  I was taking “once daily Valtrex!”  The herpes medicine.  It makes perfect sense, but I just said the word at the pharmacy like, “oh yeah, I’m picking up my Valtrex, you know the herpes medicine please.”    You might think that would be the end of my humiliation, but no.  A while later I had another cold sore problem so I called my doctor again.  She called me in some more Valtrex and I went to the pharmacy and did NOT mention what my prescription was for.  You might think that everything would be fine, no problem.  True, except for the fact that when I got home and took a pill I started looking at the bottle.  What?! I have a 3 month prescription!  Yes, I did not announce it to anyone that I was picking up my Valtrex but anyone who filled my prescription must notice that I’ve gotten it a lot and now have a 3 month prescription!  Needless to say, I took one of my Valtrex today when I got home.  My name is Shea and I take Valtrex. 
Note to Google ads.  I will pull all my ads on my page if I see a link for Abreva.  That drug has caused me much humiliation and some minor pain.  I have zero desire to contribute to their continued success.  “Number one cold sore medicine” – puh-lease.  I do condone ads for Valtrex.  People who have herpes should be loved too. = )
Now on to other topics of my observation.  Today is Sunday so I went to church.  Church wore me out today.  I love standing up and singing and getting to talk to everyone.  It is one of the things I look forward to each week because I get out of the house and get to have some fun and see friends.  On to my powers of observation – While I was sitting at church singing and worshiping God I noticed a girl reading her nook – “Hmmm… why would you come to church and read your nook?”  At first I was put off but then I started to think “at least she is at church”.  We’ve been learning in the 6th grade class about relationships and that we are sometimes the only Jesus that some people see.  What would our relationship show our friends about God?  I started to think I should pray for this girl.  She obviously saw the need to be at church though she is missing the real reason.  Pastor Bobby is doing a sermon study on Old Testament stories.  Last week was Adam and Eve and this week was Noah’s Ark.  I really love hearing all the stories and the sermons are really good too.  I know I’ve had a lot of friends that have said they were thinking about starting to come to church.  I encourage anyone in the Suwanee area to check out Shadowbrook at 4187 Suwanee Dam Road.  The sermon series is awesome and I will hug just about anyone.  But, if I catch you reading your nook my first reaction might not be to pray – LOL!
As I mentioned earlier church whipped me out.  Todd took me out to eat afterward to start celebrating Valentines a little early.  We went to Miyako because I had wanted some Mongolian beef.  It was delicious!  Once we got home I crashed on the couch and Todd programmed out Logitech remote.  We formerly had 5 remotes – DVR, TV, BlueRay, receiver, and fan.  One word – annoying!  We now have 1 remote that does it all – definitely worth every penny. 
If I could have anything to eat I would like a cupcake and a good cup of coffee.  My song of the day is Chris Tomlin’s “I Lift My Hands”.  I heard it for the first time today and really liked it.
Tomorrow starts an “up” week for me! Yay!  Lots to do, lots to eat.  Have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment