Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A simple life: chemo, movies, and sleeping

My at home chemo look.

5/4/11 – Hello all!  I have my computer back.  My fabulous coworker delivered my charger to my house this afternoon – you’re awesome Claudia!
There’s really not too much to talk about.  I’ve relaxed a lot the last 2 days.  When I got home from chemo yesterday I decided to start the Twilight series.  They are good movies for when you’re feeling not so great. You don’t really have to pay attention and there is a pretty dark setting so it lends itself to sleep.  I actually watched the first movie but fell asleep during the second.  Today I finished off the series and then decided to watch the latest Harry Potter which I fell asleep during.  That’s basically been my last 2 days – chemo, movies, and sleeping.  Not too shabby.
Today I’m feeling ok.  I have noticed that I’ve been very tired but I haven’t seen any other differences this time.  I was expecting it to be horrible since I was sick last week but so far it hasn’t been too too bad.  Definitely harder but not terrible.  Tomorrow is Thursday so I should probably be quiet. 
I was proud of myself because I actually put on clean clothes and did my hair today.  I know that probably doesn’t sound all that remarkable, but you have remember how I usually function during chemo week.  I slump around in my PJ’s and I’m sorry to say I barely remember to brush my teeth much less my hair.  I’m usually quite scary to look at.  Todd has mentioned that I my hair in the morning could scare a ninja.  Just imagine me with my scary ninja fighting hair in my PJ’s all day long.  It’s a sad existence sometimes.  Thankfully today I got my act together and got cleaned up.  I should probably do that every day because it made me feel more accomplished.  Hmm.
After falling asleep on the couch watching Harry Potter I decided I needed some chair time and some good ol’ vitamin D.  I put on a hoodie, poured me a glass of wine, grabbed my book, and headed for my chair.  Relaxation here I come!  I sat in the chair and enjoyed my time until Todd got home.  It was cooler outside than I thought.  It’s weird when I get cold.  My hands start to tingle (like pins and needles).  If I get really cold my whole body can do that.  I went inside and got a blanket before I resumed my chair time.  The pins and needles thing is weird, but it doesn’t hurt.  My hands have started to go numb occasionally and that is annoying.  Imagine you’re sitting on your couch just watching TV or having a good night with your family and you notice that you can’t feel your hand.  Weird, right?  I generally move my hand and my fingers just to confirm that they’re still working properly.  They always do, but the feeling remains.  Not like your foot falling asleep and when you move it it wakes up.  It just stays that way, tingly.  It eventually goes away.  It’s doesn’t happen all the time, just once in a while.  It is mostly annoying because it feels weird.
I’m pretty tired, so I’m going to call it a night.  I can feel the Thursday crud creeping up on me.  Fight the power!  If I could have anything to eat I would like a donut and a cup of coffee.  Not going to eat it because I’m on my diet – the dog scale finally went in my direction yesterday.  I was down 6 lbs!  Holla!  I still have a ways to go to get back to my “I hate me too” level.  I’m just glad to see that something is working and I’m fighting the “chemo makes you gain weight” stigma.  My song of the day is “The Chain” by Fleetwood Mac.  It fits my look today.
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment