Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A chemo high


My tired chemo face.


5/17/11 – I am jittery!  (I am drugged up, so I guess that makes sense?)  Today was my 8th chemo treatment.  Only 4 more to go – high five!
Tara went with me to chemo.  The last time Tara took me was when my white blood cell count was too low to get chemo.  I told her if my white count was low again that would mean it was her and she wouldn’t be able to come with me to chemo again.  (I’m so mean. Chemo Rule #4: “I am always right, at least for the 4 hours we are there.”) She laughed, but we were both interested to see if I would pass the test. 
After being weighed on the dog scale, having my temp and blood pressure checked, I finally got my blood count and was cleared for chemo.  It’s not Tara, it was just me. 
I had my usual doctor appointment and then went to the Infusion Room for treatment.  I think it’s funny that they are called “Infusion Rooms”.  Those words make me think of something fun, you know, kinda like restaurants “Asian fusion” …  Maybe that’s the point.  Best not to label it “Chemo (will make you feel like crap) Room”, right?
Tara works with one of the chemo nurse’s husband – isn’t it funny how things tie together sometimes?  I mean, I have surgery at Emory John’s Creek and learn that Nicole (who I sing in the choir with) is an OR nurse 2 days before my surgery.  My primary care doctor and GI doctor are close friends so she learns what is going on with me and calls Todd while I’m in the hospital to check on me a few times.  When I had my problem with the original oncologist I called Jamie (my friend from church) and got the number for her sister who works for an oncologist in Gainesville (I am now going to that oncologist).  My brother-in-law’s mother has a friend who lives in Gainesville and just so happens to live in the same neighborhood as my oncologist.  Tara works with one of my chemo nurse’s husband.  Funny how things work out.  Small world. 
I wound up having Carie as my chemo nurse and she is the one whose husband works with Tara.  I thought that was cool since Tara came with me today.  All the chemo nurses are so sweet.  Chemo went well.  I am tired like usual but Tara kept me entertained so the time went by quickly and I didn’t get tired until the very end.  For some reason my hands are shaking – I’m definitely not in withdrawals because I just got (still am getting) all my drugs pumped into my system.  My voice sounds a little weak.  I think the drugs affect my vocal chords.  I feel ok, I definitely don’t feel how I sound. 
Now I am vegging out on the sofa with my usual chemo week gear.  Drink, check! Pillow Pet, check!  New, awesome, super warm prayer blanket made for me by the super super sweet people at North Metro Church, check!  Comfy clothes, check!  TV remote, check!  I am set.  I am much more tired these days.  Relaxing on the couch is the smart move – “power move” as Eric would say.  It’s hard to do nothing during a regular week.  During chemo week it is necessary to do nothing.  Sounds lazy, but I promise you it’s not.  I know I’ve “rested” a lot, but I am worn out.  It takes a lot of energy to do this, chemo I mean.  Physically and mentally.  The mental part is probably the hardest part.  I will need a vacation once all of this is over.
If I could have anything to eat I would like some of the yummy cookies at Kroger.  I got pumpkin and white chocolate ones for my cheat day – delish.  My song of the day is “Hanginaround” by Counting Crows.  “I been bummin’ around this old town for way too long.”  Perfect song for my week, though I’m not trying to get sober (Hmmm… maybe I am, sober from my chemo drugs).
Later!

1 comment: