Friday, May 13, 2011

Blogs vs. Diaries

5/13/11 – Happy Friday!
Yesterday I went to post my blog and received a notice “blogger service not available”.  What?!  I have to have the link.  I need the link.  I write all this weird stuff about things I observe and my life and people want/need to read it.  If I just wrote all this stuff and no one read it that would just be a diary.  Diaries are for elementary and middle school kids, not 28 year olds.
I learned the hard way that having a diary doesn’t work out in the end.  It is really sad because you get this cool diary that looks all pretty and even has a lock and a key.  You write all your crushes.  Things that people did to you or things that you did to them.  How your parents just don’t understand.  What your favorite color is.  What you want for your birthday.  How you’re gonna grow up and be some cool movie star or rocker and other random things.  You really let loose and share all your secrets – with a book.  A b-o-o-k.  The first rule of keeping things a secret is never write it down.  Once it is written, it is out there.  No pretty cover, no key, no “keep out or else”, no special hiding space (under my mattress) can save you.  You’re out there.  You’re exposed.  Exposed to ridicule and shame.  Shame. 
What happened to me to make writing in a diary so traumatic?  2 words – little sister.  What is it about little sisters that make them so sneaky?  Growing up I seriously underestimated her powers.  Yes, I did mean things to her (hey, it’s sister code, you have to be mean to your little sister when growing up) but I never searched for her diary or let alone read it.  Let me just take a moment to say that I believe this shows my high moral character even at a young age – sorry Erin, you lose.  But really she got me in the end.  She snuck around and found my diary.  I’m not sure how she opened it.  Maybe she is good at picking locks?  Maybe those things just don’t have good locks in the first place?  Maybe she knew where I hid the key since she already knew my secret hiding place for my diary why not the key too?  She read my diary!  Not only did she read my diary but she talked about it.  What a fool!  What a fool I had been writing all that stuff down.  Touché Erin, touché.  That my friends, is why writing in a diary is a bad idea.  It will only lead to shame and disappointment.
Now, I just write all my random thoughts and feelings into this blog.  Yes, I am basically doing the same thing as allowing you to read my personal diary but the difference is that I know you are reading it.  I can fabricate anything I want to and you would never know.  That is why I like blogging.  I can be me or I can be someone else.  It’s up to the informed reader, who can read between the lines, to decipher the real from the make believe.  Blogging beats a diary any day.
I have had a great Friday.  Mom is in town to run in the Warrior Dash tomorrow.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a milkshake.  My song of the day is “Smooth Criminal” (because Erin stole my diary) by Alien Ant Farm.
Night y’all!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I had a diary that had a lock on it, and the lock totally bent... way to make a quality diary, Books A Million! But I must say, as a little sister, that no diary is ever out of our reach, whether you mail it to Canada or hide it in hole in the backyard. We will always find it.

    I laughed out loud reading this at least three times, by the way.

    ReplyDelete