Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A mystical tanning experience

5/25/11 – I hope all of you had a good Wednesday.
Two random things that you might not know about me:
-          I love Victorian movies and books.  I read Pride and Prejudice at least once a year. 
-          I got my first spray tan today.
Yep, you read that right.  I got my first spray tan today.  I love to have a tan.  There is something about it that makes me feel so much more secure in my clothes.  All my sister and I would do during the summer growing up was lay out.  Day in day out we would tan.  We didn’t care what sunscreen we wore, if any at all.  We would have a competition to see who could out tan who.  No one really ever won because we turn different shades – Erin would just get dark and I would turn a golden color. 
Isn’t it funny that people think you look healthier when you have a tan but in reality there is nothing all that healthy about it?  Random. 
I swore tanning beds off a few years ago.  Don’t get me wrong, I understand.  You get a tan quickly and it is relaxing.  I fell asleep in the tanning bed many a time.  I was the committed tanner.  I would get the tingler tanning lotion.  When I stepped out of the room I looked like someone had beaten me with a large phone book.  I remember Todd asking me one time “What happened to you?!” to which I replied “Nothing, just tanning.”  I was bright red and I felt like pins and needles.  It eventually wore off and the red turned to tan, but it was slightly painful in the moment.  Didn’t stop me.
So, what made me stop – vanity, of another sort.  I was freaked out what my face would look like after years and years of tanning.  Wrinkles were creeping in.  I didn’t want to wind up looking like leather.  I also had some friends and family members who had to have skin cancer removed.  Enough motivation for me to swear off the tanning bed.
Todd’s sister’s wedding is coming up soon and I don’t want to be the only one without a tan.  I had nightmares of being the only one on the stage without a tan.  Then that word would creep in – pale.  Pale.  I cannot be called pale one more time.  It’s like a slap in the face, might as well have red hair and freckles too.  It’s bad enough I have to slather on kids 50 SPF, but don’t call me pale.
I was worried that I would “pull a Ross” – like on Friends when Ross went to spray tan and accidentally spray tanned on the front part of his body twice.  He forgot to turn!  He wound up looking like a cantaloupe.  Would I fall prey to the same mistake?  Would I forget to turn?  Am I a “Ross”?  I actually asked the guy at the tanning salon about my chances of screwing this up.  I was worried. 
I am happy to report that I did not “pull a Ross”.  The spray tan was easy.  It didn’t streak or smell.  The tan looks pretty good too, not orange.  I am not ashamed to confess than I am vain.  I require a tan.  I am happy to report that I have done it without making a hypocrite out of myself and am quite pleased with my results. (I think next time I’ll get the dark!)
If I could have anything to eat I would like potato chips!  That would be awesome.  My song of the day is “Break” by Three Days Grace.  Side note: This song has no relation to my day.  I just have it stuck in my head.  I like to scream “break!” along with them.
Going to watch some Glee! Holla!

No comments:

Post a Comment