Saturday, April 16, 2011

Museum day



Walking in Washington D.C.

4/17/11 – Part deux.  Washington is awesome. I could totally live here.

Saturday we slept in.  After being at the monuments so late the night before I was glad for the rest.  You know you’ve walked a lot the day before when you wake up and the backs of your ankles scream at you.  It’s not just an “ouch I hurt type thing” its and “Aaahhh!  Why did you walk so much?” type thing.  Pain.  Ibuprofen, please. 

After our restful morning we got ready and headed to Old Ebbitt grill.  I am all about brunch.  The restaurant was lovely.  It was huge and we were seated by a fountain.  Todd and I have a deal that if there are two items on the menu the I am conflicted about I will order one and he will order the other.  I ordered the Breakfast Club (which was stuffed French toast – French toast stuffed with Canadian bacon, wrapped in bacon, and covered in syrup) and he order Eggs Chesapeake (crabby eggs anyone?).  Both entrees were delicious.  What I like best about brunch is the mimosas.  It was all delicious. 

Once brunch was finished Erin, Todd and I headed to the Newseum.  It is a museum of news and is rated well by Trip Advisor.  We bought our tickets and headed into the museum.  There are only 3 words to accurately describe the museum – “worth every penny”.  You pay a little over $20 for the tickets, which is a lot in a town where so many museums are free.  Just to say it again, the Newseum is worth every penny.  We started our tour with the G-Men and ended with Pulitzer Prize winning photos over time.  It was awesome.  We arrived at the museum around 12:00 and at 4:45 we heard “the museum will be closing in 15 minutes”.  What?!  We had stayed at the museum the entire day.  The time flew by.  We could have stayed a little longer. 

Today was rainy.  We caught a cab going to brunch this morning and to the Newseum.  When we left the Newseum we were hoping the rain had finally stopped.  Wrong.  Oh so wrong.  The rain was pouring down.  The Newseum staff was actually handing out ponchos.  Gotta love a free poncho!  We all put on our ponchos and headed out into the weather.  We looked hilarious!  You couldn’t help but laugh.  There was one point where Todd cinched my poncho and I could only see out of a quarter size hole in front of my face.  We walked a little until we heard thunder and lightning. Once we heard the lightning we caught yet another cab.  When we stumbled into the apartment lobby we looked like a bunch of wet tourists walking through the door laughing at the situation.

Tonight we went to eat at Paolo’s which was a yummy Italian restaurant.  After dinner we went to a speakeasy.  Totally cool.  I didn’t even know speakeasies still existed.  When we got out of the cab the place we went into was just a door.  No windows, no store front, just a door.  I felt like I was part of the G-Men exhibit at the Newseum.  We went upstairs and set at the bar.  It was a fun time.  Very cool watching the guys make the drinks.  The funniest part of the night came when a guy who had been talking to Todd and Mark and sharing how he was in town for his anniversary got his bill.  He had been telling Mark and Todd how he was in town and his wife had gone shopping that day and spent a lot of money.  When he looked at his bill his eyes bugged out and he looked and it several times.  He said that he and his wife had gone out with some of their friends in town for dinner and their friends had paid for dinner and he and his wife had decided to pay for the drinks at the speakeasy.  Bad mistake dude, bad mistake.  He goes on to tell that his drink bill was $465!  Holy cow!  He should have paid for dinner.  They definitely got the bad end of that deal.  Happy Anniversary dude.

I have got to find a speakeasy in Atlanta.  Totally cool.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a Krystal cheeseburger.  My song of the day is “Down to the River to Pray” by Alison Krauss.  This song played at the Newseum in the First Amendment section.  Appropriate.  Love it!


Night y’all!


Todd and I in our ponchos leaving the Newseum


No comments:

Post a Comment