Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cupcakes, Shopping, & Flight Frenzy

Me at Eastern Market

4/19/11 – Hey everyone!  Sorry, I took 2 days off on the blogging.  Let me catch you up on everything.
Sunday morning Erin and I woke up and headed to Georgetown Cupcakes – it’s the cupcake store on D.C. Cupcakes.  I don’t even watch the show but I knew I had to try a cupcake.  Erin and I got there when it opened but we still had to stand in line.  We probably stood in line 45 minutes but it wasn’t that bad because the weather was beautiful and Erin and I could just talk.  I ordered a strawberry cupcake for me and a lava fudge cupcake for Todd.
To be honest the cupcakes at Gigi’s are better.  My strawberry cupcake was very moist and tasted great, but the Gigi’s ones are larger, have more icing, and taste just as good.  I’m glad I waited in line because it was all about the experience.  I had a good time talking to Erin and the cupcake was good.
After getting our cupcakes Erin and I headed back to the apartment.  Mark made us some brunch.  Love brunch! 
We then headed to Eastern Market which is on Capitol Hill.  The area is beautiful.  It is especially beautiful this time of year because all the tulips are blooming and the cherry trees are gorgeous.  I loved Eastern Market.  There were tons of cool things to look at.  There is a headband lady who has ton of decorative headbands.  I heart headbands!  I picked out two.  I also have a thing for hats during the summer.  I found a really cute hat that I couldn’t live without.  Todd found this cool old map of Alabama and Georgia.  All in all it was a fun experience and a good shopping trip.  No homeless dudes to cuss out Todd either.
It was starting to get a little later in the day when we left Eastern Market.  Our flight was at 5:00 and it was already 3:00.  We planned to pick up Mark, go see Jefferson, and then go to the airport.  Erin kept assuring us that the airport was very fast and it was so easy to make it through security. 
We picked Mark up and headed down the road.  Traffic – c’est la vie (maybe I should say c’est ma vie – not sure if that is correct French…?).  Anyway.  It took us an hour to make it to Jefferson.  Have I ever told all of you how I get really nervous about flying now?  Once upon a time I had an airport security worker ask me if I was ok because I looked anxious.  Ever since that experience I have become very anxious whenever I am flying.  Let’s review – it was 3:00 when we picked up Mark, 4:00 by the time we made it to Jefferson, and our flight left at 5:00 – anxiety here I come!  When we got to Jefferson Todd, Mark, and I jumped out of the car.  I think we set a world record for the fastest tour of a landmark.  We paused to take a picture behind Jefferson, power walked around and up the steps, looked at Jefferson, and then booked it back down the stairs, took one more picture, and then power walked back to the car.  We were in and out in about 10 minutes.  If there weren’t so many people around we probably could have done it faster. 
We hopped in the car and took off for the airport.  Erin and Mark dropped us off around 4:20 and we scooted in the airport.  Of course all the check in kiosks where jammed except for the two that had people at them.  I’m not sure what determines who is good working a check in kiosk and who isn’t, but I always seem to have someone who has no clue in front of me.  Once the couple in front of us moved the screen was completely frozen and wouldn’t work.  Great….  Anxiety…!  We waited for the other kiosk to open and finally checked in to our flight.
Erin had promised that making it through security was very easy and there was never a line.  We ambled downstairs talking about how we would probably even have time to grab a burger before getting on the plane.  I looked up and saw this line of people.  Nah… that couldn’t be where we were going.  Erin said the lines were short.  Atlanta has shorter lines than that one.  Wrong.  That was our line.  Wait.  Worry.  Wait.  Worry.  Worry.  Worry.  “What is up with these kids in front of me?”  “Why does it take them so long to take off their shoes?”  “What? Do I have a plastic bag for your liquids?  Are you serious?!”  “Move!”  Finally I made it through security.  I slapped on my shoes and started power walking to my gate.  I felt like I was forgetting something.  “Is that someone calling my name?”  “Oh yeah!  Todd!”  I had completely left him.  I was listening to the loudspeaker.  It was announcing final boarding at gate 21.  “Gate 21!  That’s our gate!”  Todd and I booked it to our gate and boarded. 
One drama over, on to the next.  As soon as we boarded I knew this wasn’t going to be one of my favorite flights.  I was tired, frazzled, and hungry!  Todd and I hadn’t eaten since brunch.  We hadn’t had time to grab anything to eat in the terminal because we were in such a rush.  Once we got on the plane the stewardess – stewardess Nazi – informed Todd that he needed to consolidate bags.  Fine.  “Can we do it when we get to our seat?”  “No?  Well, aren’t you helpful….”  Since we were some of the last to get on the plane we knew there wouldn’t be any overhead space.  Todd asked the stewardess Nazi if we needed to give them our bags to go under the plane.  “Not available?  Well, you better make something available.”  Todd had to walk all the way to the back of the plane to see if there was any space that was available back there.  Pointless, of course there wasn’t.  He finally came back up front and the Nazi moved other peoples stuff and put one of our bags in first class.  She really was not a pleasant person.  I wonder if anyone really likes her? 
One good thing about the flight was that I actually got beverage service – the time before the lady overlooked me.  Peanuts to hold me over and Todd and I began to plot out our dinner plans – double everything!
I was so glad to finally be home.  There’s just something about home that feels good.  Comforting.  Todd and I hopped on Marta for the ride home.  We picked up our car, called Sunshine for a pickup, got our Chinese food, and then picked up Percy.  We were home, had food, and one of our dogs.  A good ending to a great weekend. 
I plan to write one more blog today to catch up on everything.  If I could have anything to eat right now I would like some raw veggies.  I’m not feeling very hungry, just munchy.  My song of the day is “I’m in a Hurry” by Alabama.  Fitting, right?
Later!

Georgetown (D.C.) Cupcakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment