Monday, June 20, 2011

Which one is the blue pill?

6/20/11 – Isn’t it funny that you always manage to catch some cold or some little thing before something big is supposed to happen?  Ashley’s wedding is coming up this weekend and I am a bridesmaid.  I’m really excited about the wedding because (1) I’m excited for the couple (they’re pretty darn cute) (2) I get to wear a beautiful dress (3) I’m making the groom’s cake and it should be awesome.  Somehow I have managed to get thrush again.  Boo.  Yesterday I tried to convince myself that it was just allergies giving me a sore throat.  Overnight the sore throat had intensified so I filled my new handy dandy scrip for Percocet (aka – Shea’s miracle drug).  By this afternoon I was convinced that I had thrush and called my oncologist.  Tomorrow I am getting a new prescription for the antifungal that cures the crud.  I made sure to mention that I had a wedding coming up that I was an integral part in to see if I could get some “super dose” to knock it out faster than what I had before.  I promised Ashley that I would be up there in my dress even if Carley has to hold me up. 
Today wasn’t bad.  I continued to feel better and decided to go in to work this afternoon.  I think making myself do normal things helps to deflect from how I feel from time to time.  It definitely worked today.
Now yesterday I touched on the whole pharmacy subject.  Just what do the pharmacists think of you?  But now let’s move on to another pharmacy thought process.
Have you ever wondered where pharmacies get their name?  I have.  I assume that Walgreens and Eckerds are family names.  But what about CVS.  What does C-V-S stand for?  Consumer Vitamin Sales?  Custom Vitamin Salesmen?  Conservation of Various Substances?  Hmmm…  I mean do we ever think about the names of places that we shop?  Apparently CVS used to stand for "Consumer Value Store” but now it is supposed to stand for “Convenience, Service, Value”.  Even they don’t know what CVS means!
Continuing our thought process, I subscribe to the Dane Cook school of thought that Walgreens should simply be called “The Wall”.  Walgreens takes too much effort.  Eckerds is now Rite Aid.  I just learned that.  I’m not sure how I feel about a store that doesn’t even make the effort to spell right correctly.  I mean, can we realistically assume that they will give us our proper prescriptions?  I am seriously questioning that.
Changing topics a little, have you ever said or ever heard someone say “when I was little I used to go to the general store/convenience store/dime store up the road and get taffy for $.05”?  I know I have.  I actually had my dad show me to spot where the store used to be.  I can’t really remember if he told me that the taffy was $.05 or $.10 but it was relatively cheap by today’s standards.  I’m sure most of you have either said or heard someone say this before.  If you have nod your head.  Alright then.  The person telling the story looks upon this store with nostalgia and it conjures up thoughts of a simplier time.  Here is my question.  What makes these stores any different from a drug store today?  Drug stores like Walgreens, Rite Aid, and CVS sell much more than just medications.  You can get shampoo, cards, squirt guns, milk, toilet paper, and candy all in one stop.  Doesn’t that make a drug store sort of like these stores in the story?  What’s the difference?  Maybe the fact that you don’t always know the person behind the counter? We don’t really think about how easily we have access to things now?  All in all, to a listener of the story about this store of old they sound similar.  Yes, kids have to pay much more for a piece of taffy now days but all in all I think the kids have come out to the good.  Inflation has a little/lot to do with prices and then you have to admit that there is much more selection now.  Kids can choose from taffy, Skittles, Snickers, Sour Patch Kids, Gummy Bears, Butterfinger, …. Pretty much anything.  So are drug stores the new store down the road?  They are pretty much everywhere you look.  You tell me.
Well, that about sums up my thoughts on drug stores and pharmacies in general.  I am thinking of starting my own pharmacy once all my treatments are over to recoup some of my prescription costs.  I plan to name my pharmacy something obscure and weird that makes people contemplate what the name means.  Best to keep people on their toes.
I’m feeling good-ish.  The Percocet is starting to kick in.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a smoothie or something cold to make my throat feel better.  My song of the day is “Just a Girl” by No Doubt because “I’m just a girl livin’ in captivity!”
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment