Monday, June 6, 2011

Bidding You Carpet Dreams and Shoe Wishes

6/4/11 – Today is the day.  Today is the day that the carpet goes in.
You would think my house had been struck by one of the recent tornados.  Pillows, clothes, furniture, and dog beds are crammed in every nook and cranny that will not be receiving new carpet.  Todd is about to have a heart attack and his parents are trying to keep his sanity in check.  Where am I?  Oh, I’m sitting on the gazebo listening to the birds, drinking my coffee and eating a donut. 
I learned a while back that you can worry about just about anything.  I was one of those people; however, there are only a few things in life that really deserve to be worried about.  Yes, my house looks terrible, but I’m getting new carpet.  That’s something to be excited about.  All the rest will fall into place once the new floor is down.
Sitting outside in the morning is really a beautiful time for self-reflection.  I’m not sure what the self-reflection has taught me other than I like glazed donuts dipped in my coffee.  That makes me happy.  The birds are really loud in the morning and the subdivision sounds so much more peaceful before kids wake up.  Hunh. 
I guess I better go get ready before my house is taken over by the guys laying the carpet.  I want to give Todd a wide berth too so I don’t disturb the balance of the universe and make something go horribly wrong.
I am writing this part 2 days after the first piece of this blog.  I can tell you now that things do not always go as planned.  It is a good thing that Mrs. Janet and I planned our escape from the house ahead of time.  We went and had our nails done and then went furniture shopping.  I wanted to be prepared for furniture once the carpet was done.
The carpet crew was supposed to show up at 10:00.  Mrs. Janet and I left at 9:30.  10:15 I receive a text from Todd – “No one here”.  10:45 I receive another text – “still not here”.  11:15 Mrs. Janet and I leave the nail salon and still no one is at the house.  Todd sends me a text of Mr. Berle sleeping on the couch waiting for the crew to show up.  Todd finally calls the store and the manager can’t believe that the crew hasn’t shown up and sounded just as frustrated as Todd.  He promises to get a second crew out as soon as he can.
Mrs. Janet and I visit 3 furniture stores with a stop at JoAnn’s in between.  I never knew that sitting and standing back up so many times was so tiring.  Todd sends me a text at 1:00 that the second carpet crew is finally at the house.  Go time!  Mrs. Janet and I still have lots to do.  We run by DSW and exchange Todd’s shoes for a different size.
Now this story is hilarious.  We run into DSW tired and worn out from furniture shopping but invigorated by the prospect of shoes.  Once again I had zero intention of purchasing shoes for myself.  Notice I said “intention”.  I had to browse the clearance section – it’s the law.  I found a pair of yellow wedges that looked kind of retro that were totally cute.  They just so happened to be 75% off.  You never turn 75% away – as long as it’s for something cute.  I don’t have a pair of yellow shoes so I decided they had to be mine.  They wound up being only $12 and will totally look cute with a bathing suit.  (Yes, I’m one of those girls that likes to dress up for my bathing suit.  What can I say?  I’m born to live in Ft. Lauderdale.) 
In case you’re wondering the funny part hasn’t happened yet.  After I made my awesome shoe find I went looking for Mrs. Janet.  I found her on a sandal isle surrounded by shoe boxes.  Imagine your own mother-in-law in DSW sitting on the little stool to try on shoes surrounded by boxes and boxes of shoes.  She had one pair of sandals on her foot and one Sketchers Shapeup on.  The sandals were adorable.  She picked up each box and showed me all the different shoes she was trying to choose from.  This is where I run into a problem.  I love shoes.  I quite often cannot choose and I will buy shoes solely because I have a coupon and not because I need shoes.  I believe that when it comes to shoes you always need them, if not, you haven’t thought hard enough yet.  There is always a reason to buy shoes.  She had picked out some really cute ones but I knew she needed something with good foot support.  I promised to go look for cute, supportive shoes as she wandered around the store with one sandal and one tennis shoe.  It is important to note that her pile of shoes and other tennis shoe are left abandoned on the sandal isle.  Watching someone you don’t know wander around gimping from the difference in shoes is funny, but watching your mother-in-law is sobering and straight out hilarious.  You gotta love her tenacity.  I located some cute sandals that might not bother her feet and she tried them on.  She decided that she liked the ones I picked and then said “I gotta find my tennis shoe”.  Haha!  It just made me laugh.  She looked in two isles before she found the abandoned boxes and shoe partner.  She slipped on her matching shoe and we proceeded to find where all the boxes belonged.  At last we checked out and reveled in our superior shoe purchasing.  Shoe shopping will never be the same for me.
After shoe shopping we headed home with a stop in at Kroger.  The carpet crew was just finishing up when we arrived.  It had been a long day of shopping and looking at potential furniture for us and hard work for the guys.  Todd and Mr. Berle were already working to set the bedroom furniture up.  They seemed completely worn out.  The carpet looks AWESOME!  I’ve wanted new carpet since we bought the house and finally I have it.  The Man Cave is finished and is actually a functioning room.  I couldn’t be happier.  I am completely worn out though.  I’m ready for everything to finally be finished and my house to be professionally cleaned.  Then and only then can I relax.
Saturday I started to feel better.  I was actually able to drive on our excursion.  I have had to continue to take my Ativan at night because my mind won’t stop thinking of how to decorate the house.  I’m still tired and a little weak, but much better.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a Rita’s Italian Ice.  I have a serious sweet tooth kicking in.  My song for Saturday would have to be “Crazy Train” by Ozzy Osbourne.  Yup!  Crazy day!
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment