Tuesday, June 21, 2011

3 AM thoughts

6/21/11 – Guess what?  I’m back.  I can’t sleep. 
Sleep seems to be a real problem for me during non-chemo weeks.  I usually take an Ativan to help me fall asleep.  Each time I take one I feel the overwhelming need to qualify my pill popping.  I usually turn to Todd and say “my oncologist told me I could take this for any of the 3 reasons it’s prescribed.”  (nausea, sleep aid, anxiety)  Todd then calls me a druggie and we fall asleep.  Well, I fall asleep 30 minutes after the pill kicks in.
You may be wondering why I have not taken a pill to simply help me fall asleep.  The answer to that lies in the fact that I now have thrush again, which is very painful, so I took a Percocet to help curb the pain.  I have zero clue if I can take a Percocet and Ativan at the same time and have no desire to find out that they don’t mix the hard way.  I would rather just blog and pass the time until my eye lids finally decide they like to meet occasionally. 
That’s one thing about insomnia.  I can’t seem to keep my eyes closed.  There is something that wills my eyes to be wide open.  It kinda weirds me out lying in bed staring into the darkness.  It’s creepy.  I would much rather do something.
There is some humor in my situation.  When I originally woke up I did what I always do – go to the kitchen and either text Kristina to see if she’s awake too, drink water, or eat something.  I’m not sure why I think that eating will help me fall asleep?  Anyways.  As I stood up and made my way in the dark to the kitchen I could feel the effects of my Percocet.  Percocet usually feels like 2 glasses of wine to me – in a happy place but not too much.  Well, I have a new Percocet prescription and I am wondering if it is for a higher dosage because I was stumbling to the kitchen and when I got back in bed I felt slightly drunk but without the spinning – not a bad feeling to be honest.  This is more like 3 glasses of wine.  I find the humor in this because drinking usually makes me sleepy, but my Percocet unfortunately has not.  Bummer.  Hmmm… maybe I should drink something?  Somehow I don’t think mixing Percocet and alcohol is all that great of an idea either, but I’m not ruling it out just yet.
So now I’m sitting in bed listening to Buster wiggle around and snort trying to find the sweet spot on his dog bed as Percy slightly snores beside me.  Todd can sleep through anything, including my typing at 3 in the morning.  Some people have all the luck.
Well, I guess I will sign off and stare into the darkness a little more.  Maybe Mr. Sandman will find pity on me and I’ll fall asleep soon.  One can only dream – get it? Dream…. Sleep deprivation causes me to make bad jokes. 
Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment