Monday, June 13, 2011

Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head!

Me walking in the rain!

6/13/11 – Hello all.  I know I’ve been very sporadic with my blogging lately but I have been very busy.  This last weekend I went out of town for Ashley’s bachelorette party.
What happened at the bachelorette party is confidential.  What happens in Heighburger stays in Heighburger.  All I can say is that we were supposed to do a painting at Sips N Strokes but the power went out and things went downhill from there (I guess some people might say uphill, it’s all relative).  All in all I had a great time.
This weekend seemed entirely too fast and I am completely worn out.  Todd and I met Ashley in Jason half way and I went home with Ashley and Jason went home with Todd.  Bachelor and Bachelorette parties were on!  We met in Talladega at a Mexican restaurant attached to a motel.  Yup.  A restaurant attached to a motel.  Very sketchy.  There wasn’t much variety on the exit so we decided to chance the restaurant. 
We all ordered.  The restaurant seemed nice and the service was very good.  As we were sitting around talking and scarfing down as many tortilla chips and my mouth could hold, we all felt a nice spray of something wet come over the booth.  We looked around and discovered that we had been sprayed by another customer shaking his Corona.  Did the dude say “Oh, I’m sorry”?  No.  No, he did not.  His wife instead stared at us like we were the ones who just sprayed them.  Now, I have a tendency to let my mouth write checks that Todd fist may have to cash – he has yet to have to back up my smack talking.  Anyway, I managed to say something a little louder than regular conversation about something being rude.  Because, hey, dude was rude!   We received our food and had a lovely dinner.  As Ashley and I left the table to head home we both stared down the mean wife.  I gave my best “I think you’re rude and could totally kick your butt any given Sunday” stare.  Note: If you go to a Mexican restaurant in Talladega and see a lady with a stanky eye face give her the meanest look you can.  I’ve ruled her a bad person and she deserves to be given the “mean face”.
I have started walking in an effort to keep my weight under control.  Eating during chemo week is just hard.  I only feel like eating certain things because the nausea is so bad, so dieting is pretty much out of the question.  I’ve done pretty well being diligent walking each day.  I walked Friday before heading out of town, but I wanted to make sure I kept up the practice Saturday. 
I told Mr. Berle that I wanted to walk.  He planned to go with me.  Saturday morning turned out to be very busy.  Each time I thought I had time to walk I remembered another thing I needed to do for the party that night.  I finally finished everything around 2:30.  Plenty of time to walk 2 miles.  I told Mr. Berle I was ready to walk and he said “it’s about to rain”.  I said “oh, I guess we shouldn’t go”, but Mr. Berle insisted that it didn’t matter to him.  Since rain is so sporadic in the summer I figured it just looked like rain but probably wouldn’t do too much. 
I changed into my walking clothes and headed outside.  As we walked down the driveway it started to sprinkle.  The rain felt good because it cooled down the hot summer day.  The further we walked the harder it rained.  Nothing too bad, no reason to turn around.  I made the comment that it was good that I was wearing black since we were getting rained on.  Mr. Berle quickly replied “yeah, it’s a good thing I have on black too.”  I snapped back a reply – “no one cares that YOU have on black!”  Really, Mr. Berle, really?
We kept walking and it kept sprinkling.  We headed up a hill and the rain started to get harder.  It was beautiful looking over the fields seeing the rain fall while you felt it hit your skin.  I used to love playing in the rain as a child.  The fact that I was walking in the rain made me feel nostalgic and realize that sometimes you have a perfect moment in life – something that is special that you know you’ll never forget.  Walking in the rain, laughing, enjoying the feel of the rain on my skin, the smell of the rain as it hit the pavement and grass, along with the beauty of the fields will always be something I keep with me – perfect moment.  Kinda like that song I love – “Blink” by Revive – where it says “Teach me to number my days, count every moment before it slips away…”
After making it up the hill the rain started to get heavier but we pushed on.  We headed up and down one more hill.  At the bottom of the second hill I decided that we should probably turn around.  As we turned around I realized that we would now be walking into the rain.  The rain did not slack up and we pushed through.  It wasn’t horribly heavy, not too much to walk in, but not a sprinkle.  It was fun walking home.  I got completely drenched!  It was great.  We made it home and I poked my head into the room Mrs. Janet was sewing in and she and Aunt Jane burst out laughing.  I looked like a drowned rat.  But, a happy drowned rat.
Sunday we swapped Jason and myself again.  I have been really worn out because the weekend seemed so fast and there wasn’t much time to relax.  I am glad that I had such a good time.  It always helps to go into chemo week knowing that you’ve had a great “up” week.  I’m not looking forward to tomorrow.  I know I only have 3 left but I know they will not be easy.  Chemo has become much harder.  I guess that is why I have mixed feelings about only having 3 left.  Yes, I only have 3, but I still have 3 – see what I’m sayin’?  Eeehh (shrug) Power through – I’ve got this!
If I could have anything to eat I would like some strawberries and a large glass of water – I’m thirsty.  My song of the day is Need to Breathe’s “Washed by the Water”.  Perfect song.
Night y’all.  Stay real.

No comments:

Post a Comment