Tuesday, June 14, 2011

6 Month Mark - wow.

Kristina and I at chemo.

6/14/11 – 6 months ago yesterday I had my colon resection surgery.  I know the 6 month mark was yesterday but I thought today would be better to mention it because today I had chemo.  It means more when you’re going through it. I still can’t believe that 6 months have passed.  Everything seems to have happened so fast.  It is amazing how quickly your life can change.  We have to remember that.  When we are young we think we are invincible.  I don’t consider myself old but I’ve had a harsh smack of reality.  Reality is that life is precious and we need to enjoy every minute.  I’ve learned that.  Learned it a couple times really. 
Looking back on the last 6 months I don’t really see them as bad.  I see them as a learning experience.  A real test of life.  I never want to look back on my time and think of it as a horrible time.  I want to think of it as something that was hard but something that taught me a lot.  6 months – Wow!
Today was treatment 10 out of 12.  Kristina was my chemo companion of the day.  She made chemo fun.  We pretty much talked the whole time.  Toward the end of chemo I started to feel nauseous, which isn’t supposed to happen during chemo.  I mentioned it to Sandy, my chemo nurse, and got some extra meds through my IV.  IV drugs are so much better than anything I take by mouth.
Speaking of nausea, I asked my oncologist if there was a stronger nausea drug than my Ativan.  She prescribed me Phenergan.  I’m giving it a try to see if it makes a change.  It’s supposed to make me sleepy but that’s nothing different than a regular chemo week.  I tend to sleep a lot.  Stay tuned for results.
About an hour after I got home my side effects started to kick in.  Generally I don’t get really sick on Tuesdays but today feels a little like a Thursday.  Side effects are supposed to get harder, just gotta remember I only have 2 more treatments left.  Yay!
Now I have to share something interesting.  As I drive home each day I pass this cute “store”.  Each month they change their decorations outside.  In May there was a May Pole.  Now in June there is a statue of a kid playing with a pool umbrella over it.  Each time I drove by I would think “Ooo, I need to check out that store.”  I could never quite see the sign of the store to try to determine what they sold.  The other day I was driving slower (believe it or not) and actually was able to read the chalk board sign outside. 
Are you ready for this?  The place that decorates outdoors monthly and has a chalk board sign is a lawyer’s office!  A lawyer’s office.  It makes me want to need a lawyer for something so I can check out the cool décor.  Though it might be cool to check out the office I also have to question the type of lawyer that has chalk board signage and decorates outside monthly.  Why kind of lawyers are these? What kind of clients do they serve?  Clown lawyers maybe?  Their office does look like fun.  Maybe I should consult them for my verbal contract with Todd to watch Glee in the Man Cave?
If I could have anything to eat I would like… mmm…..nothing.  Food sounds gross right now.  My song of the day is Third Eye Blind “Semi-Charmed Life”.
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment