Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Just Another Day In My Colon...

Ok people, I think it is time for me to start a surgery blog.  I’m sure we are all bound to laugh, cry, and be completely bored together.


In the beginning… I was completely ok.  Never had surgery, never really been sick.

I don’t really know where it started, but once we came back from our cruise I just did not feel right.  I went to the doctor because I thought I was lactose intolerant.  I was tested, and nope, that’s not the answer.  The doctor then sent me to the GI doctor.  The GI doctor wanted me to have a sitz marker test.  So, basically I had to swallow a capsule with 20 or so “silly band” looking things and then had x-rays on days 3 and 5 to see where they were in my digestive system.  The GI doctor calls after the last x-ray and says “you still have a lot of markers still inside.  I need you to do ‘xyz’ to clean out your system”.    Well, good ‘ol ‘xyz’ landed me in the hospital!  I had severe cramps on the right side of my body, tightness in my chest, and physically got sick.  The ER basically gave me pain meds and got me feeling more comfortable.  They mentioned that my white blood count was up and said they could do a CAT scan or I could go home and then follow up with my GI doctor the following day.  I opted to go home, sleep in my own bed, and follow up with my doctor that Friday.  So, Friday I went to the doctor and explained that ‘xyz’ just did NOT work for me.  She told me to do the whole colonoscopy prep and scheduled an abdominal/pelvic CAT scan.  Let the drama begin!

So, I have to do the CT with contrast, which basically means I have to drink this nasty chalky stuff.  The lady at the radiology asked what flavor I wanted – berry or vanilla.  I happen to actually like vanilla, so I chose berry!  My CT was scheduled for 7:40 that Thursday.  I had to wake up at 5:40 and start drinking this nasty stuff.  I actually made it through the first bottle – yay me!  The second bottle did not fare so well.  I made it to the hospital and checked in.  I mentioned to the lady that I didn’t think I could finish the stuff without getting sick.  The coolest radiology lady said “I don’t see anything”.  I then went into the bathroom and poured out my remaining fifth of the chalky stuff!  Victory!  Then I was called back to the CAT scan.  The lady that hooked me up was very nice.  I didn’t know I would have to have an IV for the CT, so I was surprised when she made me sign saying I was ok with it.  You see, I had had my first “diva moment” at the ER the following week when the ER nurse put my first ever IV.  I have a real problem with something staying inside me.  So, I warned the CT nurse that I had not had my Snickers that morning and that I was liable to be a diva.  She walked me through everything and I believe I behaved well.  The CT scan was quick and relatively painless.  I was finished and on my way to work in no time! Holla!

I get to work, have a few meetings and then get to doing some actual work.  It’s around 12:00 or so and my cell rings.  I notice it’s my GI doctor’s number, so I answer the phone (if I had music on this blog it would be a “dunt dunt duh DUM…”).  The doctor says “Hi Sydney, can you come in this afternoon to go over your test results today? – Stop! Remember this is the CAT scan I had that morning – I say “well, I’m at work, but I guess I can come in later…” The doctor then asks if Todd can come with me.  I am totally just not understanding…, why does Todd need to come? Why do we need to come today?  I actually said to my doctor, “Dr. Raina, you’re scaring me”.  She said she knew it sounded scary, but she really just needed to talk with me today.  Cue Todd… I call Todd and tell him, and he just can’t stand it.  He sends me an email that says “I can’t work.  I’ve gotta get outta here”.  I talk to my boss and Todd and I decide to meet at the house and then ride to the doctor together.  I ate a little lunch at work and got a few things finished and then headed to the house.

Todd asked if I wanted anything to eat because he was going to pick something up.  I say “no, I’m good” – side note: that was and still is the WRONG answer, WRONG answer!  Todd calls as I’m on my way home and says he got Long John Silver’s and he didn’t eat all of it so if I’m snacky I can have what’s left.  Well, when I get home I am a little hungry so I eat one piece of fried fish, a handful of fries, and a bunch of crispy things (remember what I ate, it’s important to the story).  Todd and I head off to the GI doctor trying to determine what could be so horrible that the doctor would want to see both of us on the day of the test – note to self: nothing you think of is ever good.  We get to the office and are taken to a consult room.  On the wall is a digestive disorders poster, Todd jokes that if he had had that earlier he would have had me diagnosed for sure!  On to the serious stuff… The doctor comes in and says that the CT people called her during a procedure to let her know that the CT showed a mass on the left side of my colon.  I totally did not comprehend what she was telling me.  What? A mass in my colon?  My right side hurts because I have a blockage? Processing..processing..I’m pretty sure that nothing is really connecting.  So, she says that I need to have a colonoscopy the next morning after I meet with the colon and rectal surgeon, and there is a strong possibility that I might be admitted to the hospital for surgery to remove the mass on Friday! Craziness!  Complete craziness!

I don’t think I really reacted the way normal people would.  Do normal people not cry when they hear they have a mass in their colon that their doctor doesn’t know what it is?  Do normal people just sit there and go “ok, what do I do now?”  What do normal people do?  Why do I feel so calm about everything?

We call everyone.  Friends, family, coworkers, bosses…. My parents tell me that if there is a possibility that I am having surgery they are coming.  Todd and I go home and try unsuccessfully to sleep.  The next morning I wake up at 8:00 just to find out that the surgeon’s office doesn’t open until 9:00.  At 9:00 I call and learn that the surgeon is in Lawrenceville and has 2 surgeries that morning.  He can’t see me until 4:00 that afternoon.  Oh! Did I forget to mention that after my appointment the following day I was told no more food, liquids only.  Yes, that means that my last meal was LEFT OVER LONG JOHN SILVER’S!  My parents get into town and we have a nice day.  I am tired so I can do little things and then have to rest.  At 4:00 we head to the surgeon’s office for the consult.  When they ask me how I’m doing I forcefully say “I’m HUNGRY!”  The surgeon sits Todd and I down and explains that I have a mass on the left side that is causing a big blockage on the right side which requires surgery.  We say “Wait! What happened to the colonoscopy?”  The surgeon explains that we could do a colonoscopy but since they would be pushing air through there it could cause the area to rupture.  A stint in the mass might work, but it could also be more hazardous because it is unlikely that it would work and, even if it did, if it messed up I would wind up having emergency surgery.  I think I asked the surgeon 3 or 4 times “I have to have surgery?!” and each time he said “Yes.  You have to have surgery.”  He even called my GI doctor while I was in the office to discuss if another method was available – nope.  Basically I am going to have an x-ray to see if my blockage is still as bad (thus the “Shea’s so Full of It” title), and then based on the x-ray remove the mass and the part of my colon that is backed up.  After I finally got it through my brain that I was going to have surgery I asked the surgeon “so, how long are we talking about here?”  He said “about 5 – 7 days.”  Ok, ok, not ideal, but I’ll be out of work a week.  Nope.  He says “you’ll be in the hospital 5 – 7 days, you’ll be out of work 4 – 6 weeks!”  What?!  I actually told the doctor, “No, you don’t understand, its year end.  We have an audit coming up.”  I’m pretty sure he said “You’re having m-a-j-o-r surgery.”  I so did not sign up for this.  How dare it be called “elective” surgery – NO! I did not elect this.  Recount! Re-count!

I was glad my parents were there.  I think the roughest time was when I was told how extensive all of this was going to be.  I felt like my life was already disrupted with this horrible pain, but now the pain was actually taking away my life.  Taking away what I love to do.  Taking away my control.  I did not like that one little bit.  During this whole thing I have tried not to cry.  I almost lost it.  The only thing that kept me together was looking at my mom.  I’m pretty sure I saw a tear in the corner of her eye, but I quickly said “don’t you cry”, that was more for me than her.  It worked.  We hugged and they headed back home to return on Monday for the actual surgery.

Todd and I headed over to the hospital for my pre-op.  I absolutely love Emory Johns Creek.  Every experience I have had there has been great.  They are awesome.  The pre-op didn’t take too long.  The worst news I got was that I am not allowed to wear makeup or jewelry the day of the operation, and I’m supposed to come in with baggy clothes and flats – boring…  I can’t function without mascara.  They can take my fashion, but they can’t take my freedom! – Braveheart moment.

I was cleared for smoothies, so we booked it to the nearest Smoothie King.  Peach Slice Plus is pure heaven! Yum!

Todd and I headed home to focus on having a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment