Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Back to me

12/15/10 – I’m actually typing myself today.  I’m finally starting to feel more like “me”. 
Each day seems like an eternity.  Yesterday was very busy.  I had several visitors, so I passed out for the night at 9:00.  I was completely worn out.  I woke up at 12:00 for my routine vitals check.  I had a temperature and I felt terrible.   Karen, my nurse, was awesome and got my pain under control and some Tylenol to bring down my fever – I felt bad because they had to call my surgeon at 12:00 to confirm it was ok to give me Tylenol, luckily he approved it.
After several hits off the pain pump I started to feel like myself.  I slept until 3:00 and then decided to go on my first walk of the day.  At 3:00 Todd and I got up and walked to the window – my goal was to make it to the window, that’s all.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  Success!  I made it to the window, touched the chair in the corner, turned around and took a deep breath, gotta make it all the way back to the room. 
I slept awhile once we got back to the room.  I got to feeling better by 8:00.  Unfortunately my surgeon came to visit (dunt, dunt, dummmm…) and it all went downhill for me quickly.  No, nothing terrible happened.  No, I did not get any bad news.  But what did happen was he removed the bandage off my incision!  One important thing you should know about me – I am extremely squeamish – this whole bandage removal thing was nothing short of traumatic.  After the bandage was removed I wanted to go on another walk but each time I rolled over to hit the halls I would get nauseous just thinking that my incision was touching my gown!  Gross!  Gross! Yick!  After several attempts I finally achieved success.
Today coughing and hiccups have been my nemesis.  Dude!  Those seriously hurt.  There was one time when I had hiccups and started coughing on top of that – one word, painful.
Todd went in to work today.  I had lots of visitors and phone calls.  I’ve really enjoyed catching up with everyone, though I tire easily.  I generally don’t condone falling asleep during conversations, but if I happen to do that while talking to one of you over the next few weeks, please don’t judge me =)
One funny parent story – Todd went in to work, and Todd’s parents went home to clean for when I get to come home, so there I was sitting in my hospital bed with my parents in the room.  I’m just sitting there thinking “this is really gonna stink if they are just gonna sit there the whole time”, so I casually say “I feel like y’all are just watching me to see what I’m going to do”.  My mom responds, “No, we’re not, and you’re not that interesting anyway!” Haha ha.  I got told by my mom!  Guess we all know where I get my inner diva from.
I’ve added Ensure back to my diet – the ice chips were getting a little old.  My only complaint is that the hospital only has the milk chocolate Ensure and not the dark chocolate Ensure.  Dark chocolate is yummy!  Yes, yes, you heard that right.  I actually like dark chocolate Ensure.  Obviously the lack of food is getting to me.  I’ve been told that I should be able to start a soft food diet tomorrow but I’m not getting my hopes up…. I am so going to ask if I’m approved for Smoothie King!
So, my song of the day is “I’m Walkin’ on SunShine, Woa Oh!, And Don’t it Feel GOOD!”.  I am still stuck on the Peach Slice Plus smoothie.  I must get one STAT!
Oh, I forgot to mention the colon cancer ribbon is brown - classy..., not.


3 comments:

  1. You will make brown look good!! And it's so cute with pink... Or blue.... Or... (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should be a writer, Shea - you are hilarious! hope you get your smoothie or at least some dark chocolate ensure soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Mom! ... and Dad ... and you girls ;) it seems like you should still be in middle school - WTH?
    and I love your blog! Keep writing! One day when you are all recovered.... and back to feeling miserable about something utterly trivial, you can look back and remember how hungry you once were ;))

    ReplyDelete