Sunday, July 10, 2011

Why is it so hard to wake up on Sundays?!

7/10/11 – Why is it so hard to wake up on Sundays?  I think it has something to do with going to sleep entirely too late the night before, working a whole week, and the devil.  The only reason I mention the devil is because it’s Sunday and I need to wake up and go to church.  I never want to wake up and go to church.  Never.  That may sound “bad…wrong…unchristian” of me but it’s the truth.  I would LOVE to just sleep.  What actually winds up happening is that I sleep until the very last minute, past the snoozing for a hour point, and wake up groggy and startled all at the same time.  Groggy because I would much rather sleep.  Startled because I only have 15 minutes to get ready for church, I’m so gonna be late.  I get ready as quickly as I can for moving slowly, throw on something cute but comfortable, eat breakfast (because I know I’m going to get hungry without a snack for that long and everyone can hear your stomach growl when you are in a sanctuary!), grab my coffee and I am out the door.  When I arrive at church I have to do the walk of shame, must not be too shameful because I do it every Sunday, to my seat and pretend like I’ve been there the whole time while sipping on my coffee (Sunday school, not in worship for those who were wondering) and trying desperately to keep my eyelids apart. 
Once I’m awake I enjoy church.  I help teach the 6th grade girls class and they always entertain me.  We have a large group before and breakout into small groups for about 15 minutes to discuss the lesson and spend some one on one time with the girls.  I’m always inspired by their interesting hair colors and jewelry.  A lot of the girls are wearing ankle bracelets that are cloth.  I would totally rock that, but I’m afraid that it might look weird since I’m probably a good 15 years older than them.  All I will dare to do is dye my hair weird colors.  I’m not trying to look young then, just fun. 
After Sunday school Todd and I head “up the hill” to worship service.  They threw us a curve ball today having the preaching first and the music second.  The sermon was on how God uses all things for good and dealt with security, even in the rough times.  I enjoyed the sermon but I’m used to the sermon being at the end so when the pastor finished and it was time for the music I was mentally ready to go home.  The after church munchies and nap effect were starting to kick in.  I was tired.  I tried to amp myself up for the music because I always love the music portion of the service.  We sang some good songs but by that time I was physically and mentally tired.  I needed to sit.  No, what I needed was a Coke. 
After church we had lunch with our friends and one group of their parents that were in town.  After lunch Todd and I thought we would be reckless and went car shopping.  My car is slowly approaching old age.  I’ve had her for 7 years now.  She’s been a good car, though Todd turns his nose up at Mitsubishis.  All I’ve ever had was a Mitsubishi – an Eclipse and now a Gallant.  I like to pronounce it “Gallanté”, it sounds more fun.  We aren’t in a big rush to find a new car because mine still runs well, but we would like to get something new in the near-ish future.  We went and test drove 2 cars.  There is something about car shopping that makes me nervous.  I hate having to tell someone that I’m just looking. 
I can look at shoes, clothes, and jewelry but when it comes to a salesman actually approaching me and saying “let’s make a deal”, nu uh, no way, I do not like it at all.  It makes me feel like a jerk to say “I’m just looking”.  Why is that?  Why is that any different than looking at all my options before I buy my next pair of wedges?  Is it that I can’t handle confrontation? Doubtful.  Anyone who has encountered me on a bad day knows that I don’t have a problem with confrontation, warranted or not.  Maybe it’s the whole rejection thing?  I don’t like being rejected and I feel bad to bring that on someone else.  I know that it’s not the person that I’m rejecting, but it feels like it.  Simply…I need to get over it. 
After test driving the cars Todd and I headed to Wal-Mart and spent too much money on nothing.  We then headed home to relax.  Todd cut the grass and I cleaned out the fridge and freezer.  Relaxing, right?
If I could have anything to eat I would like a slice of key lime pie from Cheeseburger in Paradise – theirs is the best!  My song of the day is “Blessings” by Laura Story.  I heard this for the first time at church today.  I love the message.  “What if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if you’re healing comes through tears?...What if trials of this life.  Are mercies in disguise.”  Wow!  That’s how I feel about my cancer.  It’s been hard but I’ve gotten more good from it than bad. 
Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment