Thursday, July 21, 2011

Race, anyone?

7/21/11 – Today’s blog is not going to be as serious as yesterday’s.  Thank goodness!
After learning my lesson yesterday about overworking myself I decided that I should take it slow.  I would love to just jump back in to things but I need to listen to my body and not push too hard.  I told myself that I would work hard in the morning and then when I started (started is the key word) to get tired I would try to wrap things up and head home to finish out my day.  Today I worked at work until 1:00 and then went home.  I finished up work from home and did not feel nearly as burned out as I did yesterday.  Slow and steady wins the race.  Hopefully I will be able to build back up to full days in the office soon but for now my half and half schedule works well enough and doesn’t tire me out.
Alright, now to start talking about a topic that I have neglected for a while…  Some of you may have noticed the alert at the top of the blog announcing the Phenix City Get Your Rear in Gear 5K Run/Walk, lovingly called the “Diva Dash”.  This is a race that my mom dreamed of while I was still in the hospital.  The goal of the race is to share prevention methods, raise awareness, and to support those affected by colorectal cancer.  75% of the proceeds of the race go directly back to facilities in the local area.  Pretty cool.
I am super excited about the race!  I never dreamed that I would have a race started all because of what I have gone through.  It puts a lot of pressure on me to live up to the expectation.  Throughout my whole experience I have tried to bring awareness to what those experiencing cancer and chemotherapy deal with on a daily basis.  This race is just another platform to reach even more people and have a good time simultaneously.
Some of you may be wondering why the race is in Phenix City, AL when I live in Georgia.  I am originally from Phenix City.  I grew up there, and lived in the area 21 years.  Let me just say that the Phenix City/Columbus area has the best barbeque known to man, friendly people, and a great atmosphere.  The race is taking me back to my roots.  Alabama, baby!
If you love to run (or even walk), want to be a part of the experience and support colorectal cancer I encourage you to check out this race.  http://www.getyourrearingear.com/events/list/2011/phenix-al-2011/  If you’re not a huge runner but like to walk, walking is always an option and I happen to know a few people who have already said that is what they intend to do.  I walked the entire Rumpshaker 5K back in March.  There is no shame in not running, sweating is overrated anyway. 
The race doesn’t start until 9:00 Eastern, so if you’re thinking of coming from out of town a short drive in the morning might not be a bad option or you could check out hotels or bed and breakfasts in the local area if you’d like to make a weekend of it.   I hope y’all will consider participating in the race.  I would love to see all of you and share the experience together.
I have stuck to my diet 4 days in a row now.  It’s going to be a long road but victory is in sight.  I haven’t gotten burned out on the food yet and am really looking forward to my cheat day Saturday.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee.  My song of the day is “Pon de Replay” by Rhianna.  “Run, run, run, run, everybody move, run!”
*I’m going to start posting the link for the race at the bottom of my blogs.  The link will take you straight to Get Your Rear in Gear and the Phenix City 5K race page where you can check out the race facts, donate to the cause, or sign up to participate.
Check out the Phenix City Get Your Rear in Gear 5K Run/Walk – Diva Dash! 

No comments:

Post a Comment