Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm a wedding warrior!

7/5/11 – I am on fire!  Blogging, blogging, blogging.  Who needs sleep?  Not me.  = )
On to Saturday of the wedding.  I woke up around 5:30 and found Carley sitting on the couch.  Apparently Ashley’s alarm was set on vibrate so it didn’t wake her up on time.  She and Carley planned to be at the church at 6:00 to finish the remaining items.  I planned to be at the church at 8:00 to help and start the day’s festivities.   I woke up at 5:30, went to the bathroom, said good morning to Carley, and went back to bed.  Of course my alarm for 7:00 decided to not go off either.  It probably was user error on my part, but I like to blame at&t because I’m perfect (sideways glance to make sure no one catches me in my lie). 
I wake up at 7:45, freak out and thoroughly disturb Todd with my ranting about how I’m late and how I thought they were going to be at the church at 8:00 too.  Apparently the guys had decided on 9:00.  Todd called his mom and she was about to leave but could pick me up.  I scurried into the shower.  It is a miracle that I didn’t harm myself shaving my legs so fast.  I threw on some clothes, grabbed my dress shoes, jewelry, and the groom’s cake and headed out the door.  Mrs. Janet and I arrived at the church fueled by Coke and a honey bun that I picked up at the gas station.  I dropped the cake off in the kitchen and started melting chocolate for the chocolate covered strawberries that were supposed to surround the cake.  I dipped a few strawberries and laid them out to harden.  I had to get to my matron of honor duties.
I checked in on Ashley and all the other girls.  I was supposed to get my makeup done, but time started to run out.  I had to put the hounds tooth under the grooms cake and make sure the table looked nice.  I also needed to check in on my strawberries.  There was too much to do.  Suzanne who we borrowed the crystal platters from and who was doing the chocolate table was in the kitchen.  She came to my rescue and volunteered her husband to finish up the strawberries for me.  She and I then laid the hounds tooth out on the groom’s cake table and placed her decorations back in order.  It all looked great.  I took my leave of absence and headed back to the bridal area. 
Either I needed to get my makeup done or Mrs. Janet needed to get her hair done.  Since makeup isn’t that big of a deal I opted to do my own and let Mrs. Janet go ahead of me.  Carley volunteered to do my makeup.  I was game.  I love someone else fixing my face.  I told her my affinity for eye makeup and let her do the rest.  She made me look awesome. 
It was quickly approaching time to do our prewedding pictures with Ashley.  I needed to squeeze myself into those spanx!  Squeeze is the correct word because I danced, I wiggled, I tugged and I pulled to get that thing up and situated.  It didn’t seem all that horrible.  I slid my top and skirt on and then had someone tie my belt for me.  Our “dresses” were actually a black convertible top and a black skirt with a white ribbon belt with flower detail and red shoes.  We were classy but we matched the black and white Alabama theme.  Since the tops were convertible each of the bridesmaids chose a different way to wear the top.  Kandi chose the strapless option, Carley went with two straps, and I did a halter.  I really liked that we all looked the same but different. 
We met in the sanctuary and started our photo time.  Ashley wore a beautiful dress that was white with black lace detail.  It might sound a little odd with the black lace but the dress was beautiful and Ashley has the personality to pull off a different color lace and still look awesome.  She also wore red sparkly Chuck Taylors for her wedding shoes.  Since all the groomsmen were wearing black Chucks with their tuxes her shoes were the perfect unseen accessory.  The photo time went by quickly and before we knew it, it was time for the wedding. 
Ashley handed me Jason’s ring and simply said “don’t lose it”.  Easy enough, right?  Do you people remember who I am?  I’m Shea Bamberg.  The girl who has chemo brain and completely lost her husband’s wedding band who knows where, and I was the one entrusted with Jason’s new shiny wedding ring.  Big deal.  Slightly scary.  What made the situation even more scary was the fact that the ring was too big for my thumb so no matter where I put it, it was loose.  I wouldn’t want to know the Las Vegas odds of me losing the ring before the wedding even started.  I’m sure they wouldn’t have been in my favor.
The wedding started and I walked down the isle to my painters tape marked spot.  Avery, one of the flower girls was supposed to stand beside me during the ceremony.  The thing about Avery is that she is curious and she loves people and loves to talk.  She told me the night before that she wanted all pink flower petals and that her official title was flower princess.  Sweet!  I want to be a flower princess too.  As Avery mounted the stage I held out my hand for her to hold and hopefully keep her place.  I had asked Ashley before the wedding what she wanted me to do if Avery went rouge and she said to just let her do whatever.  Well, not 2 minutes into holding hands Avery decided she was done.  She wanted to talk to Destiny (Jason’s niece and other flower girl) instead of standing and holding my hand.  She wandered over to Destiny and started whispering.  Do you know how hard it is to hold a loose ring, flowers, and try not to laugh out loud during a wedding while on stage.  Hard.  It’s hard.  Avery decided that she wanted some of Destiny’s flowers that were left and started putting them into her basket.  Destiny quickly protected her petals and focused on the wedding.  Avery then decided she was done with the wedding and wandered out into the sanctuary down the isle she had come.  I focused on the wedding and tried not to laugh, but she was so darn cute.  I looked out at one time and saw Avery distributing more petals into the isle.  She was serious about her flower princess job.  I handed the ring off to the minister without incident and the ceremony ended and we all proceeded out.  Job done.  Mission accomplished.  Party on!
We hung around and took more photos before heading to the reception.  Once we arrived at the reception I met up with Tara who had driven over from Suwannee for the wedding.  We tried out my groom’s cake which was going fast.  It was good.  I like the chocolate peanut butter combo.  I credit my sister for that.  I saw no sight of the chocolate covered strawberries but helped myself to all the other items.  I was starving.
The reception went well.  I got to talk to a lot of people that I hadn’t seen in a long time and hug a lot of family.  After a while the crowd started to dwindle and I knew that it was go time again.  I hugged Tara goodbye and headed off to change and get to business. 
Funny side note: Somewhere between the photos before the wedding and the actual wedding I had to go the bathroom.  No big deal, except for the fact that I had my spanx on.  They where the kind that were like biker shorts at the bottom.  Since our dresses were two pieces I had to unhook my top to pull the spanx down.  I unhooked the top but decided to leave the hook and eye still attached because that was too much trouble.  Well, as soon and I bent in my dress without the spanx holding me in a heard “Pa POW!”  Yep, I busted the hook and eye.  Those spanx were worth every penny!  You are either laughing or mortified after reading this little detail of my day.  I hope you’re laughing because I was mortified but couldn’t help but bust out in laughter.  I busted my dress!
Once the reception was done and I changed clothes it was time to get the church back the way we found it.  Reception and sanctuary back the way they were, flowers removed, floor swept, and kitchen cleaned.  It was a task.  I hate cleaning.  The wedding was at 2:00 and lasted maybe 15 – 20 minutes.  The reception didn’t last too long, maybe an hour after the wedding.  We didn’t finish cleaning and leave the church until a little after 6:00.  Yet another worn out day, but a good one.  Everything worked out and the wedding was beautiful.  Only a few slices of my cake remained which I snatched before they were gone for Jason.  Good day.
We headed home to unpack the cars and trucks and unwind.  Todd and I had planned to return home Saturday night, but there was no way that was gonna happen.  We were too tired.  We nibbled on the leftovers from the reception and relaxed the rest of the night.  I slept like a baby and was only drug out of bed by the sound of Buster throwing up.  Eehhh….  Time to get up I guess.  We had brunch at Mrs. Janet’s and then hung around some and shot guns again.  I shot a 38 special and actually didn’t mind the noise or the kick.  I now have a 38 special – lol!
Todd and I headed home around 3 or 4 and crashed once we got home.  Time to recoup and power up for the chemo week to come.  The wedding was fun, but only the bride and groom get to relax and go on a honeymoon after all the work.  Something seems wrong with that picture.  I think I need a vacation too. 
Well, this concludes my wedding blog series.  I hope all of you have enjoyed the detail and gotten a few laughs or two at my saga.  All’s well that ends well.
Since I’ve already written one blog I’m not going to list what I’d like to eat, but I am going to have a song.  This is the song that we processed out to at the wedding.  It was awesome.  I felt like I was supposed to be rocking a fist pump or something.  “5 Seconds” by Canton Jones.
“Go wild, go wild, go wild!”

No comments:

Post a Comment