Sunday, July 10, 2011

I'm on the edge....of normal!

7/9/11  - It’s Saturday and I have made pancakes, cleaned up dog throw up, cleaned and mopped the kitchen, worked to straighten up the garage, organized my craft area, and changed out my Christmas china for the new (old) stuff I got.  Productive day?  I think so.  I am now sitting in the man cave watching a movie. 
Have any of you seen the commercial for the “Love Calculator?”  You text “Kiss”, your name and your partners name to some number and they tell you if you’re compatible or not.  Yes, this is a real commercial.  I can’t believe it either but then again there is a commercial for pajama jeans so why not a love calculator as well.  I find a few things flawed with this product.
1.       Why is the word “Kiss” even necessary?
2.       What do your two names tell anyone other than they can then decide whether the names sound good together or not.  And, what does that even mean in the first place?  Names don’t have to sound good together for you to be a compatible couple.
3.       What the heck do they do with the information that they receive?
4.       You don’t even see a person, so how do we know that they are any better at deciding that a couple will work or not any better than the couple themselves.
5.       If people actually use this product then I should set up one of my own because I’m 98% certain that I could do it better than the Love Calculator.  I would call it Shea’s Love Compatibility Test and would like people to tell me their age, their partner’s age, and both of their favorite colors.  (I would totally do a better job than the Love Calculator.)
Tonight we went and hung out with friends.  I know that is such a simple thing but I can’t tell you the last time that we really just had one on one time with friends since the first of December.  I don’t think it has happened.  We’ve had a few group things but haven’t really had time to hang out with one couple.  It seems like such a simple thing – having dinner with friends.  You do it all the time and think nothing of it.  But tell me one thing, what would you do if suddenly you didn’t have the time or strength to spend time with your friends, how would you feel?  I mean, seriously consider it.  Friends that you have a close personal relationship all of a sudden gone, not because they aren’t there and not because you don’t want to spend time with them but because you simply can’t.  How would that affect you?  It’s hard.  You may be secretly telling yourself that if you where in my shoes you would make the time.  Unless you’ve been there you really can’t say that though, time is harder than you would expect.  It’s not as easy as it sounds, believe me. 
There have been many days were I have wanted to talk to my friends and ask how their days are going and hear all the funny stories they may have to share but I couldn’t because I wasn’t strong enough to carry on a conversation.  My conversation skills are limited to a small time span somewhere between 2 and 3 in the afternoon and my verbal skills are limited to “yes”, “no” and “eehh…”.  Not very good for a meaningful conversation.  You might be asking yourself, “Shea, why don’t you just talk to them on your good weeks?”  My good weeks are great and I enjoy going to work and spending time feeling “normal” but there simply isn’t enough time.  I spend my good weeks go go going, but at the end of the day I’m still wiped because it’s at those times I realize I’m not normal quite yet.  Time with friends is something normal Shea would have time for, but I’m not normal Shea, well, not yet at least.  I’m lucky I have friends that understand.  Love you guys!
So, last night was special for all the reasons I listed above.  We went over to Phillip and Tara’s for dinner.  We had some good conversation and enjoyed brownies and ice cream along with a movie.  We stayed entirely too late but had a great time.  I realize that with all that has happened and continues to happen I will never be able to go back to where I was before last December.  I’m always going to have the scars to remind me of what happened (figuratively and actually).  All I and my friends can do is learn how to adapt to a new normal.  One day I’ll be normal again.  I got my first taste of it and it felt good.   Watch out world.  I’m almost done with chemo!
If I could have anything to eat I would just like a glass of water, no food.  I’ve already eaten enough.  My song of the day is Lady Gaga, “I’m on the Edge” because I’m on the edge too – of normal.
Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment