Monday, July 25, 2011

Puh-lease...You would have eaten them too!

7/25/11 – Hello all! Friday and this weekend were awesome.  ***Long Blog Alert – apparently I’m very chatty today – LOL!***
Friday I was so proud of myself.  I worked the WHOLE day at work.  Fridays seem to have a more causal work environment feel and I find that I take more breaks on Fridays.  The King of Pop’s (popsicles) came to visit on Friday as well, adding to the relaxation – no, I did not eat a popsicle because it is not on my diet.  Friday was a small victory.  One small step for mankind, one giant leap for Shea Bamberg – some might even say huge.
I headed home Friday a little tired but overall in a great mood.  I had made a yummy dinner of marinara chicken and spaghetti squash – no carbs on the diet.  Todd and I enjoyed our meal and then headed outside to my Adirondack chairs that I had recently neglected to let the dogs run and enjoy a glass of wine.  We hung out and talked while the dogs played and didn’t head inside until it started to rain.  I had planned for us to watch a movie but we were both so tired we decided to go to be at 10:00.  Does that mean that I’m getting old? – going to bed at 10:00, that is.
Saturday was cheat day and I did it up right.  I had mentioned to Todd that I was going to buy myself a small bag of peanut m&m’s and eat them as soon as I woke up.  I tend to say things from time to time just for the sheer shock value.  The m&m’s story was one of those times.  I went to the store earlier in the day to pick up some groceries that we needed.  I looked at the m&m’s and decided that I really didn’t need them.  Later in the day I forgot that my waffle mix needed milk so Todd volunteered to go by the store on his way home Friday night.  When he got home and unloaded the groceries I noticed a small bag of peanut m&m’s.  I smiled and said “I didn’t really intend to do that”.  Todd laughed and said he knew I would eat them though.  True.  Oh so true.
So, there I was with a bag of one of my favorite candies in the house.  I have zero sweet control.  Remember the story about how I ate an entire box of swiss cake rolls?  Self control when sweets are involved is not a strong point.  Peanut m&m’s were in my house.  Under my roof Friday night.  My inner voice was yelling “SWEETS! I need sweets!”  I told myself that I needed to get it together.  Soon it would be Saturday and I could eat all the horrible things that I had planned.  I went to sleep dreaming of waffles and peanut m&m’s with a large glass of milk on the side. 
I woke up at 1:44 to go to the bathroom.  I know for certain that the time was 1:44 because I looked at the clock.  As I looked at the clock and noted the time I thought “hunh…Its Saturday.”  Think, plot, think, plot.  It was already Saturday.  Saturday was my cheat day.  There were peanut m&m’s in the kitchen.  Think, plot, think some more.  Yes, yes, I needed a peanut m&m.  I needed to consume an m&m as soon as possible.  At 1:44 in the morning.  The m&m’s didn’t stand a chance.  No holding back.  I, Shea Bamberg, ate peanut m&m’s at 1:44 Saturday morning.  I don’t feel bad about it or regret it, it was my cheat day.  I would like it noted that I only at 3 at 1:44.  So what if I happened to wake up at 3:02 and eat a few more?
Saturday was a blissfully beautiful day.  It was cheat day and I had already started the morning out right eating my fair share of the m&m’s.  Todd and I then had buckwheat waffles and turkey sausage for a fantabulous breakfast.  Erin, my sister, was in town from D.C. so she and I met, along with Tara, at my all time favorite Mexican restaurant – Ceviche in Roswell (I consider all other Mexican food “fast food” compared to their quality).  We had a great time catching up and just hanging out.   After an extended lunch I headed home to clean – Ooops, I mean slack off – and watch a movie with Todd.  An afternoon of slacking is one of my specialties.  I’m good at it.  Once our resting was complete we headed out to dinner at Taco Mac with Yen and Brad.  We had a good time just hanging out and talking.  Always a fun time with the Gorka’s. 
Sunday was another great weekend day.  We had the Lord’s Supper during our worship service.  I don’t know what it is about the Lord’s Supper that made me misty eyed.  I always find that the music is very powerful while the deacons are handing out the wafers and juice.  Then I also tend to reflect and think about how awesome God is and my own humanity.  I mean, I was diagnosed with colon cancer in December.  Colon cancer is considered the #2 cancer killer because people do not get it diagnosed until it is sometimes too late.  I was stage 3 colon cancer.  There is only one stage above mine.  The Lord’s Supper gets me to thinking about that.  I know my cancer was found and removed.  I know I’ve gone through chemo and am in remission.  But, what if it hadn’t been found….? How scary would that be?   I am truly blessed to have had so many people pray for me and send good wishes my way.  I am blessed to have had great doctors that identified and solved the problem. I am blessed for having had continued care throughout my chemo and still today.  I am blessed to have a great husband who understood me even during moments of weakness on my part.  I am overcome with all of these feeling that the Lord’s Supper brought out.  God is good, all the time (even when it seems that He’s not – seems is the key word) God is good.
So that was my Friday and weekend.  Good times.  If I could have anything to eat I would like a BUTTERFINGER BLIZZARD!!! Unfortunately there is not a Dairy Queen near me and I have been instructed that all other blizzards are an abomination to the word “blizzard”.  I need to get one sometime soon though.  My song of the day is “Hold On” by Toby Mac because it talks about how “those days are through” and pushing through and coming out on top.  That is what I believe is finally happening for me.  I’m breaking through to a small sense of normalcy. 
Holla back!  ollNight y’all.
Check out the Phenix City Get Your Rear in Gear 5K Run/Walk – Diva Dash! 

No comments:

Post a Comment