Monday, October 15, 2012

Port Placement


Posted Oct 11, 2012 4:45am

Yesterday I had my port placement. It went well. I was mostly concerned what side they would place my port because after I had my original port removed I got a tatoo that says "Love the moment" to remind myself that things may be hard but that doesn't mean we can't have joy through our trails. I was afraid if they put my port on the left side and messed up my tatoo I might not "love the moment" like I should. LOL!

There was no need for my vain worry because my port is on the right. I learned that surgeons place ports on the left but radiologists place ports on the right. They use your jugular to thread the tube through and get a clean line close to your heart. To be honest the word "jugular" freaked me out. All I could think was, "isn't that what killers slash in all those horror movies?!" After a little Ativan and anesthesia I honestly didn't care what they did. I woke up hungry, rested, and wanting to see my baby.

Mrs. Janet (Todd's mom) stayed with me through the procedure and Todd's dad went and hung out with Ellis. It made me feel good knowing he wasn't missing his family time since I wouldn't be able to visit him like normal. Mrs. Janet wheeled me up to the NICU. I touched Ellis a little but didn't hold him since I still felt a lot of my anesthesia and was starting to get stiff. Mrs. Janet read him The Lion King and then we said our goodbyes and headed home. I needed to rest.

I slept the remainder of the day. Now that the anesthesia is fully wearing off I'm starting to get stiff but its not painful. I basically have a little extra plastic in my body. It's so small it doesn't really hurt persay, but the fact that you shouldn't have random pieces of plastic placed in your body makes it a little uncomfortable until your body adjusts.

Ellis is doing great! He is finally over the 3 lb mark weighing in at 3lbs 1oz. He's still having trouble gaining weight like they'd like so he now has increased calories and protein added to his breast milk. (Kind of like a baby body builder!) He did well on his low flow cannula at 1.5 yesterday and only had 1 episode where his heart rate and breathing dropped. The nurse said she can still hear his heart murmer related to his PDA and if that continues she will get the cardiologist involved again sooner than later. He has become more active and loves to look around and be held. I held him for 3 hours straight on both Monday and Tuesday which is why I didn't update the blog! Too busy holding my baby. I love just watching him. He's starting to develop a personality which cracks me up. I predict a stubborn, strongwilled child. Help me!

All in all Ellis and I are doing well. I'm sore healing from the placement and he needs to gain weight, continue to breath well, and have his PDA fully close. Todd is our rock through it all; taking care of both of his babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment