Thursday, August 18, 2011

Workin' it out

8/17/11 – It was only a matter of time before I joined a gym.

I think I knew once I finished chemo and started my diet and walking program that it would some day fail me.  I just didn’t think that day would come so soon.  For some reason I thought I could diet and walk and see results.  Well, I saw some results but I also saw some pizza and Coke too.

The diet just didn’t work.  No one should deprive themselves of fruit.  It’s just not right.  Of course I’m going to crave carbs and sweet things because I wasn’t even allowed to have the one source of sweetness that’s somewhat ok for you – fruit.  The first week of my so-called diet I lost 6 lbs – awesome, right?  Well, the second week I gained 2 lbs and the third week I gained 3 lbs.  In total I lost 1 measly pound.  Unacceptable.

While I was on vacation Yen mentioned how she had joined a smaller gym and really enjoyed it.  She didn’t feel pushed out of the weight areas by body builder guys and they had a more relaxed atmosphere.  The more I thought about it the better joining a gym started to sound.  I’ve been a member at a gym before and found that it wasn’t my cup of tea.  I didn’t care for all the people; having to fight for cardio equipment; and just how long it took for me to get from work, to the gym, and then home.  It was a bad fit all around.  The thought of a smaller gym became more appealing because I started to see how it might turn all my negatives about a gym into positives.

I did a little research once I returned from vacation and found that there was a gym very close to my work.  That would work out really well because I could get there quickly after work and by the time I left the gym all the after work traffic would have already died down – win, win.  All I had to do was scope out the gym and see if it appeared clean, friendly, and not too crowded.  Upon inspection the gym passed all of my tests – win, win, win.  So, Monday I joined Planet Fitness.  I met with a personal trainer and he designed a 5 day workout plan for me.  I have worked out 2 days now and I am really excited about how convenient and easy everything is.  I just hope I can stick to it and start to see results.

The article link from the Mayo Clinic lists 7 tips to reduce your risk of cancer.  Healthy living is considered the “best revenge” for combating and preventing chronic diseases.  Thus, living a healthy lifestyle can help prevent cancer.  I’m working out and getting back into shape to help boost my odds of getting colon cancer again.  Plus, it makes you feel good – to quote Legally Blonde – “Exercise gives you endorphins.  Endorphins make you happy.  Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.”  Maybe working out will decrease my snarkiness – doubtful.

If I could have anything to eat I would like some Greek yogurt.  My song of the day is “Physical” by Oliva Newton John. Hahaha!


Night y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment