Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Distressed Driving

8/10/11 – Today is my Friday. 
As of 5:00 today I was officially on vacation.  Not the chemo-not feeling good-just hanging out at the cabin type vacation, but the I am finished with chemo-and feeling good type vacation.  I can’t wait to just relax and enjoy a few days off work to refuel.  Since chemo has been over I think I’ve been running off caffeine and fumes.  We did have a mini vacation the weekend of my last treatment but since I was feeling bad that doesn’t truly count as relaxing. 
This morning I woke up on time on accident.  I guess you could call it a happy accident since our alarm sound was turned all the way down so neither of us ever heard the alarm go off.  I rocketed out of bed like everyone does when they are jerked from sleep to realize the alarm didn’t sound.  Yes, I was technically still on time but that is a heck of a way to wake up.  If there was a way to recreate that every morning I might just turn into a morning person.
I got ready for work and headed out the door before I even heard the bus turn into the cul-de-sac.  (The bus is my enemy on work days.)  Everything was going well.  It was a good morning.  I smiled as I passed the bus headed the opposite direction as I scooted out of the subdivision.  I was early, but I didn’t have to sacrifice sleep.  Sweet!
True to form I hit a bit (quite a bit) of traffic.  I’m not sure what it is about school being in that just makes the traffic so much worse.  Most of the schools are already in by the time I head out the door.  Are that many people late to school or am I just catching the soccer moms on their way back home?  Anyway… I made it through traffic and got on 85 South.  I hit a little more traffic but was still doing well on time.  I had a full 6 minutes to make it work once I got off my exit (more than enough to make it on time). 
I made my usual right turn and then got into the left turning lane.  I always evaluate the 2 turning lanes to see which one is shorter so I will make sure to make the light.  The shorter lane put me behind a Comcast van.  I pulled to a stop and waited for the light.  Since the van was so tall I was unable to see the light when it changed.  I noticed the truck in the other left turn lane was moving.  Why wasn’t I moving?  The van didn’t budge.  It didn’t have any hazard lights on signaling that it had broken down, but it didn’t move when the light had obviously turned green.  I whipped it over into the other turn lane just to get stuck with the red turn arrow.  I looked over and noticed that all the cars that were in front of the Comcast van had made the light but the driver was too busy texting to even notice.  Seriously?! 
I’m relatively certain that texting while driving is against the law.  I’m not saying that I’ve done it before but if I had I would have noticed that the car in front of me was moving let alone simply not there anymore.  I watched the Comcast van with pure hatred in my eyes – it was not one of my finer moments.  That dude had made me late for work because he was texting.  That couldn’t go unnoticed.  He couldn’t not know that I was upset.  I had to stick up for myself.  My first idea was to jump out of my car, beat on his window, and then punch him in the face – have I mentioned that I suffer from road rage?  My next idea was to let him pass me and then see if there was a “how’s my driving” number on the van and call in and report him.  My third idea was to roll down my window and really let him have it, verbal assault baby!  I ruled out option #1 because I might get the cops called for attacking someone.  The van never passed me so I was unable to follow through with option #2.  I was afraid that if I went through with option #3 the guy my get out of his van and smack me or say something mean back and make me cry (you can’t keep your intimidating demeanor if someone makes you cry).  I decided on option #4 – turn around, look the guy in the eye, and scream “What the ‘heck’ were you doing?! Jerk!” at him from the safety of my car. 
After all of that I didn’t really feel satisfied.  In the future if I am approached with that situation again I may just go with option #1.  Sure I may get the cops called on me but I’m pretty sure that my assault would be justified since the guy was texting.  I could say I was trying to perform a citizen’s arrest.  I’m going to need to work on my judo moves so I feel confident taking a dude down.  I’m pretty sure I would have the advantage because what guy really believes that a woman dressed for work in a skirt, headband, and wedges is going to challenge them for their poor driving decisions?  No one.  I would have the element of surprise on my side. 
I made it in to work only a few minutes late.  I don’t like showing up to work upset but that seems to be my theme.  I don’t think I will ever show up to work happy until I am the only one on the road and I’m pretty certain that I wouldn’t even be happy then because it would mean that I’m the only one who has to go into work every day.  I just can’t win. 
If I could have anything to eat I would like some hummus and pita bread.  My song of the day is “Vacation” by the Go-Go’s. 
Check out the Phenix City Get Your Rear in Gear 5K Run/Walk – Diva Dash! 

No comments:

Post a Comment