Monday, August 8, 2011

I will so shoot you!

8/6/11 – I have to admit that I have reached a low point.  I’m not proud of it, but I don’t regret it either.  I, Shea Bamberg, shot a middle schooler with a laser gun and rejoiced about it in public.  Yeah…..
Friday night was Merge for the 5th graders going into 6th grade.  They are going into middle school and are moving from the main church area down to the youth building.  Coming to the youth building the first time can be a little scary so the middle school minister has Merge to let the kids come in, hang out, get to know some of their teachers and the building, and have fun.
Friday I had a hair appointment so I missed the first part of Merge.  I joined them at Laser City to participate in laser tag and get to know the girls.  I haven’t played laser tag in years.  I think I was actually in high school the last time I played.
We went in, got our gear on, and headed in to play.  Before the game started Todd said “See those stairs? Follow me.”  I headed in but quickly lost track of Todd.  I went towards the stairs and headed up.  There were plenty of places to spy on others and get a good shot in.  The problem with being upstairs is that you’re kind of like a sitting duck.  I would find one person that I had a good shot of and just before I pulled the trigger I would get hit.  Frustration.
When you get hit your suit powers down for 5 seconds and then comes back on.  It took me a while to figure out when my suit was off and when it was on.  I spent the first game trying to figure out how to shoot properly and how to not get shot by others.  Toward the end of the game I went back down stairs and found a cubby where I just hid and shot people.  That was more my speed.  The true hunter in my started to come out.
Once the game was finished I met up with Todd and told him that his suggestion of going upstairs was horrible.  I was shot constantly.  He explained that he wasn’t telling me to go upstairs but to follow him to a good hiding spot where you could see a lot and shoot almost anyone. 
The next game I followed Todd and holed up in the hiding space.  Todd was right.  It was the perfect spot.  I could see anyone who came to shoot the base and see up top and people on the ground.  I stayed in my newly appointed hiding spot and rocked it out.  I see you, BAM.  I see you too, BAM BAM! I was on fire! Just because I was hidden does not mean that I didn’t get shot from time to time. 
We generally played boys against girls.  The boys would just walk straight up and shoot me sometimes. They were kamikaze shooters I tell you.  One in particular was very good at sneaking in without me seeing him and then shooting me.  He would just stand there and wait for my suit to start to power up and do it again.  Dude!  I would have so shot him if I had a working laser gun. 
And that is how my opening statement came to be.  It was our third game and the same middle school boy had shot me a couple times before I recognized him.  He also told me that I was in his spot though I had been there for at least 2 games already.  (The first rule in war is to stand your ground.  I was a statue.  If he wanted me moved he was going to have to move me himself.)  He was a sneaky little thing.  After I recovered from being shot and the game had been going on a few minutes, I saw him making his move to shoot our base.  Quick!  I had to react quickly since he knew my hideout.  I shot him as soon as he came into the open.  I yelled “Yeah!” did a short fist pump and jumped.  Excessive celebration?  Yeah, you could say so.  So there I was, celebrating the downfall of a middle schooler over an adult.  Some might categorize this as a low point in my life, but I’m not so sure myself.  I felt pretty darn good at the moment.
What does this mean about me?  Do I like to win too much?  Are there no lengths I will not go to?  If I were playing a 5 year old in Go Fish would I let them win or mercilessly beat them?  I honestly don’t know.  My whole perspective on my niceness has altered since the laser tag incident.  The animal in my had come out.  Being a true boy the middle schooler paid me no attention and went on his way to power back up and shoot someone else.  Maybe it is safe to say that my niceness is still intact but remains questionable at times.  I’m ok with that.
If I could have anything to eat I would like an orange.  My song of the day is “Regulators” by Warren G – hahaha!
Night y’all!
Check out the Phenix City Get Your Rear in Gear 5K Run/Walk – Diva Dash! 

No comments:

Post a Comment