Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Colonoscopies aren't scary

8/9/11 – Um… why is Todd making fun of me?  I’m not laughing.
Yesterday I wrote 2 blogs.  As you may know I always add what I would like to eat and my song of the day at the end.  One of my blogs was about wanting to chop off my numb fingers so I chose Coolio’s “Gangsta’s Paradise” as my song of the day.  I like to play the song as I’m posting my blog.  Todd walks by and hears the song playing.  A little while later I’m posting my second blog and playing my second song of the day which is “Peace Like a River”.  Todd is on the phone and I hear him say “One minute she’s playing Gangsta’s Paradise and the next she’s playing Southern Gospel…”  I quickly snap back that I’m a complex individual.  I cannot be categorized by just one music genre.  Don’t try to label me because I’m so much more than a label.
Today I had my colonoscopy.  I learned 2 things:
1.       Colonoscopies do not hurt
2.       Some people snore while they are sedated
Todd and I woke up at 6:30 and got ready to leave.  I was a little nervous this morning.  I mean, I did have a tumor so I was a little worried about what the procedure might find.  We arrived right on time and I was taken back to the holding room.  They weren’t able to use my port so I informed the nurse that I was a diva and had a serious problem with IV’s.  She was very nice and told me she completely understood because she didn’t care for them too much herself.  As she was about to stick me she held up the needle and said “See this?  I’m going to use the smallest needle I can on you.  It’s what we would use for a child.”  Awesome!  I love nurses that get it.  I also explained how I hate seeing the IV go into my arm, or hand in this case, so she covered it with gauze for me. Small victories.
The anesthesiologist came in and quickly got informed of my IV quirks.  He seemed to put up with my diva-ness rather well.  He went over the anesthesia part assuring me that I would be completely asleep.  He wheeled me into the procedure room and turned on some tunes.  I was pleasantly surprised to be surrounded by Blackeyed Peas and Rhiana music.  Who knew doctors got down like that? 
My GI doctor and a couple techs came into the room and I got one quick question that had been eating at me in before I received my anesthesia.  “Do people snore when they are asleep?”  He told me that some do and my GI doctor said that was what the music was for – haha, she’s got jokes!  I then got my drugs and promptly fell asleep.
After the procedure I woke up in the recovery holding room with Todd by my side.  My GI doctor said that everything looked good and I didn’t have anything that needed to be removed.  She said that she checked my surgery area and if she hadn’t known that I had a colon resection she wouldn’t have noticed it at all.  My surgeon did a very good job.  I received a full report with color photos and everything.  Kinda cool, but kinda gross.
I got a little antsy in the recovery holding room.  The diva was coming out.  I wanted to go to the bathroom but was told I needed to wait a few minutes.  I then started asking when I would be allowed to leave.  I was ready to get home and get comfortable.  I was feeling good and I had had enough of that place.  Once I was allowed to get dressed and go to the bathroom I was met by a wheel chair.  “I don’t need a wheel chair.”  I had stumbled around on my own just fine during chemo, why did I need a wheel chair now?  Apparently it is procedure so my butt got forced into the wheel chair.  Could be worse things.
Todd drove me home, stopping by Chick-fil-A for a chicken biscuit on the way.  I was really hungry so the biscuit hit the spot.  Once I got home I set up shop in my former chemo room.  I watched a movie on TV, tried to read, and then fell asleep.  I slept most of the day.  I am now just relaxing and trying to enjoy myself.  All in all the procedure went well.  I had no discomfort or complications.  I’ll return to work tomorrow.  Overall, a good experience and a little piece of mind.
If I could have anything to eat I would like a cheese burger.  My song of the day is “Imma Be” by the Blackeyed Peas.
Night y’all!
Check out the Phenix City Get Your Rear in Gear 5K Run/Walk – Diva Dash! 

No comments:

Post a Comment