Friday, August 19, 2011

Greater purpose

8/18/11 – The Phenix City Get Your Rear in Gear 5K Run/Walk is less than a month away as of today. If you would like to participate visit http://events.getyourrearingear.com/site/TR?fr_id=1063&pg=entry
and sign up today. I’m looking forward to seeing lots of you out there!

I haven’t felt very motivated the last few days. Maybe my body is having to get used to the whole work out thing? Either way, it needs to stop some time in the near future. Have you ever felt that you needed to do something, to make a difference, to live life to the fullest? Who hasn't, right?  I guess that is what is getting to me. I’ve been through cancer and I simply can’t go back to the way I was. There was nothing wrong with how things were but now I realize there is so much more to life and time is short. I want to enjoy each day and make an impact.

Have you ever sat around and tried to think about how to make an impact? It’s not easy. It’s kind of like thinking about world peace – a good concept but hard to put into practice. I’ve tried to get involved with a support group, I’ve shared my story with Get Your Rear in Gear and all of you on my blog, but it still seems that I need to do more. God can’t have put me through all of this without there being a larger plan. What is it? For some reason I thought this “greater plan” thing would find me, but now I’m starting to wonder. Is there really something that I’m called to do? Was there any reason why I had this happen to me? What am I supposed to do with all that I’ve experienced and learned?

I’ve enjoyed writing the blog and I love talking to people about my story. Those two outlets have made me feel that I’m making some impact, but I want more – I need more. How? How do we know what we are supposed to do? Wouldn’t it be lovely if we were given a roadmap or if we could receive daily texts of what we are supposed to accomplish?

From the beginning Todd has wanted me to think about turning my blog into a book. There are lots of cancer books out there. I’m not sure if something I wrote would be all that marketable, granted I do have a few funny moments, but would it be something that someone would really want to read? I know this seems to be a blog of questions, but these are all things that are running through my head. I’ll give the book idea a shot, even if I write it only for me to have. It never hurts to try, right?

If I could have anything to eat I would like a caramel apple. My song of the day is “I’m Moving On” by Rascal Flats.


Night y’all!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shea! I love this post b/c I often have the same questions. We should hang out soon and discuss. :)

    Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Light-Cancers-Shadow-Treatment/dp/1414305729/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313787346&sr=8-1

    It's written by a young adult colon cancer survivor and in addition to the young adult perspective, she also brings a Christian perspective. This book really helped me to figure out how to move forward with life. Maybe you'll find it beneficial, too.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete