Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Hair is History!

Me and Ellis! 2 baldies!

That’s right!  The hair is history!

 I fought it all through my first round of treatment, but as soon as I received my PET/CT results I knew the hair had to go.  Since I would be doing more chemotherapy I knew that my hair would continue to fall out and there wasn’t much left.

I had been waging war against my hair since October.  I would look around the house and see a Shea hair tumble weed roll by. (insert Western sound clip – WOWM WOWM Wowmmmm….) If you have a cat you know how their hair will form little hair balls and roll around your floor looking for the hardest corner to clean to wedge itself, well that is what my Shea hair tumble weeds did!  Not only did they invade ever corner of my house and shower crevice but they also launched a full out attack on me during the night.  I would wake up in the middle of the night with hair on my face, crawling into my eye, or stuck to my lip! Ellis would wake up in his crib with Shea hair in his hand.  Todd would slip on it in the bathroom.  Hair was everywhere!

I was losing the hair war.  In order to win, I had to take charge and fast!  I did what any sensible girl would do – I bought a wig and scheduled and an appointment with my hair stylist.  Hair was NOT going to take over my house and my life anymore.

I had gotten to the point where I didn’t feel cute.  I wore hats and tried to coordinate my outfits but at the end of the night I would take off my hat or my scarf and see the stringy mess that my hair had become.  Todd would joke around and call me Smegal while whispering “my precious…..” as he got into bed each night.  Hair was once something that added to my style but it had become something that made me feel down.  When Carie shaved my head I felt a huge weight lifted.  Simply by being free of those last stringy strands helped to boost my confidence.  Those strands weren’t going to attack me in the middle of the night or terrorize my family anymore because I got to them first!


Front of my hair pre-shaving. (Eeew!)
Back of my hair pre-shaving (GROSS!)
After shaving my head!
Being bald is awesome!  I’m not just saying that because I have no other option.  It really is very liberating.  I always thought that guys shaved their heads in the summer as a cop out.  Just another way to simplify their daily routine and be a little cooler in the heat.  NO!  I gotta give it to the guys.  They knew something that us girls never even imagined.  Being bald feels great!  I don’t have anything hanging down bugging me.  I don’t get mad at my hair and have to pull it into a ponytail.  It doesn’t look different from one day to the next.  And, it doesn’t take forever to dry.  Being bald is the universe’s secret to perfect hair and guys (GUYS!) had it the whole time!

One of my wigs!
Me at chemo bald! SO comfy!
So, now I wear my wigs when I go out (mostly because it’s cool outside) and hang out bald at home.  There are times when I go out in public bald but I’ll probably save most of that for when it is warmer.  I find that makeup is so much more fun when you’re bald because it stands out so much more.  I enjoy adding hair accessories to my wigs and glue on my eyelashes.  I need some like Nicki Minaj!  I’ve always had an addiction to eyelashes so picking them out in a store is SO SO SO much fun! 

You know, reading what I’ve written and thinking about the fact that I wear a wig and glue on fake eyelashes makes me realize that I have similar accessories to a stripper….. hunh.  Well, I think in this situation it is good to remind myself that yes, I do wear a wig and yes, I do put on a lot of makeup and glue on fake eyelashes but all the things I’m doing are putting things ON which is the most important difference between me and looking like a stripper.  Whew! Glad we talked that through.
My fake lashes!

Being bald rocks! 

3 comments:

  1. Girlfriend, You. Look. Mahvelous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great.We love your heart.
    Mr.Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Shea! I was reading a few of your posts and just had a quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks!

    PS. Hair or not, you honestly look fantastic! Inner beauty needs no make up : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete