Friday, September 28, 2012

Day One

Ellis was born at 7:47 am on September 21, 2012. I got to see him for a few seconds in the delivery room. They took his clap off so I could see his face. I kissed his head about 7 times and told him I loved him and would see him as soon as I could. He sqeeked at me which I loved because I knew his lungs were working He looked so much better than what I expected of a 28 week premie. He wasn't all wrinkly and his color looked great. I was told that on a rating out of 10 he was between an 8 and a 9 which even some full term babies don't.

My OB asked if I wanted a regular room or if I wanted to be on the GYN floor. I asked if I could be on the GYN floor or high risk pregnancy because I just didn't know how I would react being around other moms who have their babies with them. As soon as I went to the recovery area I realized my experience was going to be different. In recovery there were moms with their babies but I was alone. It didn't bother me as much as I thought it might. I knew my baby was in the best place.

I was moved to a room in high risk pregnancy. I was so glad to be somewhere that people knew me and that didn't feel awkward. The NICU took some adorable pictures of Bam Bam without his cpap on so I could see his face. As I lay in the bed willing my legs to wake up from the epidural I stared at his pictures and wondered, "Are you an Ellis Harden or are you a Sidney Charles?". My goal for the day was to get out of that bed and see my baby!

Around 5:00 that afternoon the nurse came in and said we could try to get up. Rolling over and scooting to the edge of the bed was the hardest part. She said I needed to be able to do it on my own, so that is what I did! Only one hand to grip and I made it with some pain to the edge of the bed. Standing up was the easy part and it felt antastic to stretch! I walked just a little and then returned to bed. The nurse told me to rest and then I could venture to the nursery around 8:00.

I left my room at 7:55 headed to see my baby. I was warned that my epidural pain pump only had 6 doses left before it needed to be replaced. I was told not to stay in the NICU that long - yeah, right... Our first NICU nurse was wonderful. She walked us through every number, every piece of equipment, and everything we should do to keep our baby comfortable. Todd changed his first diaper and helped weigh Bam Bam. Needless to say, my epidural wore off and we had to leave after being in the NICU an hour and a half to get me some much needed meds.

After taking care of my pain Todd and I sat around discussing the name. Which was he? Ellis or Sydney? We came to a decision that our little Bam Bam was most definitely an Ellis Harden Bamberg. Ellis means "the Lord is my God" which fits him and our situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment